96 3.0 ranger Camshaft sync and sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 3.0 ranger Camshaft sync and sensor

rangerhs

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgewater Vs
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford ranger
I replaced a defective#camshaft#position sync and sensor. Sensor was totally destroyed. Replaced it by the book. Truck is still hard to start idles rough, and has lack of power. Also won't idle on start up. I have a new fuel pump and filter , a new#crankshaft#sensor. New timing gears and chain, plugs and wires. Can some one help me please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cam sensor can be incorrectly phased easily, as the timing marks on the crank pulley pass the timing arrow 2 times during 1 revolution of the camshaft.

Did you verify that the #1 cylinder was on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke when you brought it to TDC?

Also
If the engine is running that poorly, I would assume the check engine light would be displayed. It should turn on when you switch the key on, and then turn off when the engine is running.

I would have the PCM scanned for trouble codes, this will help in troubleshooting.

Scanned PCM gave a code for lean on Bank 1.

I brought cylinder 1 to top dead center. How do I checkto see if it is on exhaust or compression?

I believe Ck Eng light is burned out.

Scanned PCM gave a code for lean on Bank 1.

Ok, this is a good clue. 2 ideas pop into mind-1,see below, as I bet the cam sensor is 180 degrees off. If this is nt true, then 2, check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. there is a shrader valve ( bike tire valve) on the fuel rail. Beware a little bit of fuel might spray out when doing this.

I brought cylinder 1 to top dead center. How do I checkto see if it is on exhaust or compression?

OK, to verify TDC for compression stroke, you have a friend turn the engine with a socket on the crank pulley bolt, and spark plugs removed to make it easy to rotate, while holding your thumb on the #1 spark plug hole, trying to seal it. When you cannot keep air from escaping, you are on the compression stroke. At this time slowly bring the engine to TDC. You might do this, then see if the cam sensor tool still fits, or, if the flag is on the opposite side of where it should be preventing the tool from fitting.

I believe Ck Eng light is burned out.

Not too hard to replace. Knowing it works means you know the truck is running well.

Please update with your findings. Good luck.

Fuel pressure is within range.

I think you may hit the issue will check repair and update. Thanks for your help and quick response.

Brought to tdc and removed Cam sync and turned 180 degrees. Still the same.

Going to go back through all the steps and make sure I did not miss anything. Unless you have something else.

Scanner is showing no codes. The catalytic converter has been removed from the vehicle don't know if that makes a difference.

If you're certain it was at TDC on compression stroke and
the sensor is timed correctly, then remove the battery
cable for about 15 minutes to reset the PCM.

Brought to tdc and removed Cam sync and turned 180 degrees. Still the same.

Going to go back through all the steps and make sure I did not miss anything. Unless you have something else.

Scanner is showing no codes. The catalytic converter has been removed from the vehicle don't know if that makes a difference.

Pulled battery cable and left off all night. Put it back on. No help. I'm going back and redo to make sure everything is like it should. Thanks again for the input.

IIRC, my 3.0 TDC is the 6th tooth from the gap in the
pulley. If you try to time it at the gap, timing will be
wrong.

Just throwing this out there....

I have a mark on my balancer TDC. I have aligned it with the Crankshaft position sensor. Have reversed Camshaft sensor 180 degrees runs the same. What am I missing.

Other than what I have suggested I am clueless on that particular engine.
However, on the 4.0 ohv engine it is a very common mistake made by the best "experts", to mix up the firing order. Even though it has been "double checked" it is often discovered to be mixed up, especially on Bank 2, or, driver side of engine.

Back to the malfunction code-is it possible there is a bad fuel injector on bank 1?

If you unplug and remove both oxygen sensors, then swap them with each other the malfunction code will move with it, if the sensor itself was bad.
If the code does not change banks, then you know for sure there is either an air leak or fuel starvation issue on bank one.

Hope this helps.

Finally got CPS installed correctly after getting some help finding timing mark and getting #1 cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke. Truck running 100% better. Thanks to all for the help. Only problem I have is it runs good at high rpms but idles rough. Idles better when I remove EGR vacuum line. Any thoughts.

Finally got CPS installed correctly after getting some help finding timing mark and getting #1 cylinder on TDC on the compression stroke. Truck running 100% better. Thanks to all for the help. Only problem I have is it runs good at high rpms but idles rough. Idles better when I remove EGR vacuum line. Any thoughts.

Glad you got the cam sensor sorted out.

The rough idle could be from a split DPFE hose.
That's the most common EGR related failure, and
very easy to fix once you find the broken hose.

You might also have leaking upper plenum gaskets,
since it's showing a lean bank 1 code. You could try
snugging up the plenum bolts to see if that affects
anything...

Any thoughts on a 1999 3.0 Ranger No Power, No Blow by, No codes, New Timing Chain, Gears and new heads.. Runs Smooth 20 mpg from Florida to Texas 70 mph. Just very slow acceleration / pickup.. Tried Mass Flow, TPS, Wondering if Synchronizer could be out 180.. Timing light showed 10deg with unplugged and set to 15deg off center line?

Back