96 4.0 Leaking Trans Fluid between Engine and Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0 Leaking Trans Fluid between Engine and Transmission

Godzilla2y

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer 4.0 4WD
Hey folks,

I've got a 96 Explorer 4.0 that's had the transmission replaced on it once before. We ended up getting the flex plate replaced by a guy in town on it not too long ago, and then I drove it from Cleveland to Buffalo and back. when I got back, I drove it to work the next day, and noticed that it was leaking trans fluid between the engine and transmission pretty heavily.

I took it to another mechanic, who told me the new flex plate was pretty much destroyed it was either the transmission or the engine or both, and at least one of them would probably need replaced (he doesn't have a lift, so he couldn't rip anything out).

I'm taking it to another place with a lift this Saturday, and that person thinks it's the torque converter that needs rebuilt.

Have any of you had a similar issue? Any idea what could be the culprit? I'd hate to give up hope on this bad boy so soon, but I'd at least like to know how much I might have to spend if I do decide to invest in the repairs.

Did they put in a new spacer when flex plate was installed. If not it could be bad and letting the converter run off center and destroying front seal and pump bushing which would allow fluid to leak. May even have ruined the hub on the converter. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
IMG_2935.JPG

We haven't taken it apart yet (we will Superbowl weekend), but the guy said it's probably the front seal and torque converter.

We got a nice look at the underside, and I'll also be replacing the rear end's seal, the rear end's pan, and the fifth shock.

There are plenty of other bits to replace that I'll probably make more posts about once I get into it (antenna mast, front passenger wheel hub, multifunction switch, ducting, cruise control switches, lock actuators, etc.), but those'll all be after the trans fixes.

Did they put in a new spacer when flex plate was installed. If not it could be bad and letting the converter run off center and destroying front seal and pump bushing which would allow fluid to leak. May even have ruined the hub on the converter. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.
View attachment 95086
So we finally got around to tearing it apart. Everything was loose. Drive shafts, transmission, flywheel/torque converter, everything. Multiple missing bolts. All the flywheel bolt holes are egg-shaped. I'm lucky this thing didn't literally fall apart. I'll need a new flywheel. And torque converter. And seals. And the bell housing needs a good cleaning of all the metal bits.

Back