Yomie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Biloxi, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Toyota
'97 ***Squeaking***, not '96 (sorry)

My '97 explorer just started squeaking a few days ago. Something on the drivers side front squeaks really bad when the front tire hits a bump or when it turns....

....It is squeaking almost as bad as that worn out bed you have in the back room, you know...that bed, i'm sure someone knows what i'm talking about.....

It's not only annoying to myself, but almost embarrasing when i am in a parking lot or something. Could it be like a bushing down in the drivers front suspension or something. I looked down there the other day and there was a lil bit of mud 'chillin' on the control arms and stuff, but i plan on washing that stuff outta there tonight so i can get a better look. If anyone has any ideas please lemme know!!

BTW...My suspension is all stock, no tortion twist or anything.........YET.

[Edited by Yomie on 01-18-2001 at 07:08 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this same problem with my 95'. I was told to use some I believe it was a silicon spray but i will check and let you know tomorrow. Also after using it for a week that very embarrasing noise went away.

what did you spray with it, which suspension components?

Ha ha ha, SAME PROBLEM here.... I sprayed the control arm bushings. The simple little rubber parts closest to the engine. SATURATED them heavily.... it took almost a week, but it DID go away. However, about a month later, the squeek came back again. So I repeated the process...

sprayed the same but has been about 3 or 4 months now and hasn't come back. Hate that noise.

sam01m do you remember what you used? Ican't recall at this moment what I did.

I used a Teflon spray called Triflow... I think it only came back because of all the salt and snow and everything which kept it from getting very good penetration the first time.

Thanks guy's! I will stop by Auto Zone and pick me up something, give my underbody a very good cleaning with water and then try this! I dunno...but i'm guessing it is because all the salt and snow......and we can't forget the mud! I will let you know what kinda lubricant i will be using and hopefully this will help!

Thanks again!

Still squeaking!

OK guy's, its been 11 days now that I have been soaking them in a Silicone spray. The squeaking is still there, not as bad as when it started, but still there. I've been through two cans of spay and i don't know what to do! I sprayed the upper control arm bushings and the sway bar bushings. I cleaned everything up under there and can't locate exactly where it is coming from, but I know its somewhere in the front drivers side suspension. Does this mean that i need to replace all the bushings in there to get rid of this noise? If so how much will this cost? and is it covered in my warantee? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I had the same problem with mine. After about two weeks it did indeed go away. Little by little it wasn't as loud. Just have to wait and see I guess. Mine still isn't squeaking to this day. Hope it works out for you like it did for me. Best of luck.

Brian8, thanks for the reply, i will continue to soak them in the silicone spray, maybe even change the brand of silicone. You are right the noise is slightly getting lower. I will let you know what happens, and thanks again, you guy's have stopped me from driving this thing off a brige! LOL

Don't feel so bad I wanted to do the same thing too. But it will get better.

The sway bar links are worn out or broken and Ford has a recall on certain years. The other posibility are the front hubs are very pron to noise on Explorers from 95 and newer.

help...

My dad was working on a friend's '96 last week with the same problem... tried tightening up the lower control arm bushings and it almost went away, but not quite. He's tried soaking it in penetrating oil, silicone spray, etc. to no avail.

Has anyone replaced these bushings? How much money, work, etc?

It's not the sway bar bushings either... he disconnected them and the squeak was still there...

Any ideas?

-Joe-

Originally posted by Brian Meier
The sway bar links are worn out or broken and Ford has a recall on certain years. The other posibility are the front hubs are very pron to noise on Explorers from 95 and newer.
do you know what the recall years are? also would the squeeking of the hubs sort of go away if the brakes were applied. cause i think i have the same prob as all of you on my '99. when im drivin under 25 there is a sort of squeeling noise. it kind of goes away when i hit the brakes. also would that be a sign that i need to turn my rotors?

Back