• Register Today It's free!

96 Cowl panel removal

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
I'd like to remove the plastic cowl panel from my 96 and repaint it using SEM's bumper and trim paint while I got the wiper arms off. I'm going to beadblast them and repaint them.

Trouble is I can't figure out how to remove it. There are no access screws so I'm assuming it just pops in.

I'm afraid to start yanking on it for fear if I pull it in the wrong spot I'm going to break it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I'm not mistaken the cowls is held in with clips and two screws. Be careful with the washer sprayers they are delicate.

If I'm not mistaken the cowls is held in with clips and two screws. Be careful with the washer sprayers they are delicate.

I thought they might be accessable with the hood open but it doesn't appear to be.

I've noticed allot of newer cars, everything pops on and you have to guess at how to remove it.

With early cars everything is held on with screws and there is no question about how to remove it.

2 screws on the edges accessed from the side when the doors are open, and one in the middle of the cowl up top. Then the clips shown in Mike's link. And yes, watch the sprayers because they're stupid delicate.

So it is accessable from the engine compartment. Glad I didn't start yanking on it.

Thanks for the link guys.

i need to replace my cowl panels cause they are broken but the only screws i see when i open the doors are fender bolts. there are no screw on top in the middle. i have a 96 xlt, is it different?

Back