96 explorer 4.0 coilpack..little pits in metal connector? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer 4.0 coilpack..little pits in metal connector?

porshapower

Reaction score
City, State
jacksonville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
I am chasing the rough idle. Just bought new wires with no change. As I pulled the plugs off the coil pack. I looked down into the sockets and there is a pit into the metal where the spark? was sparking? Can this cause slight misfire?at idle only? THanks!:)Nel

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nel, yes, if the pit looks burned into the metal. Once a high voltage short starts occuring, it will continue and burn into whatever it's shorting into. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance.

I'd check the wire on that particular cylinder. If it was open or had a high resistance, maybe the new wires will help. Otherwise, you may have to replace the coil, if you can't figure a way to insulate the area where it's shorting. Sounds like the coil might have an internal short anyway.....

It's unusual that a 96 (OBD II) wouldn't show a misfire code, if the misfire is indeed spark related, though.....?

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
Nel, yes, if the pit looks burned into the metal. Once a high voltage short starts occuring, it will continue and burn into whatever it's shorting into. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance.

I'd check the wire on that particular cylinder. If it was open or had a high resistance, maybe the new wires will help. Otherwise, you may have to replace the coil, if you can't figure a way to insulate the area where it's shorting. Sounds like the coil might have an internal short anyway.....

It's unusual that a 96 (OBD II) wouldn't show a misfire code, if the misfire is indeed spark related, though.....?
No luck. Changed the wires and did the same thing..luckily guy at parts store took them back. Bought a coil this time and put that on figured it would be fixed..no luck. Put old coil back. I have changed plugs(left them in there) plug wires,coil,egr valve,dpfe sensor,new airfilter,new oilchange,cleaned maf,new Idle air controler valve. Am still left with stutter and shake at idle. One thing I did notice that doesnt seem normal is that when I sit with the hood open and rev it up I can hear vacuum. Sounds like a vacuum leak. Its coming from top of the engine near that black thing on top of the motor(says 4.0) on it. Its under there somewhere but I cant find it. Dont see any vacuum lines running under there. It sounds like when you get a slice in an intake rubber hose and its sucking air. How do I check for vacuum leaks? THere is a way by spraying something on the area?? Thanks! :)Nel

I also have that sound , and would like to now if that is normal,or if i have a leak somewere. (ontop/behind the engine)
Have recived code 0174 lean bank 2

GreatWhite, with that code, I'd suspect a vacuum leak, probably at the manifold or plenum gaskets. Bank 2 is the driver's side. Try snugging down the manifold bolts and see if that affects it.

Nel, this is an old post, but did you solve your original problem?

ROE

Have new gaskets, and they gave me back perfect idel even in cold wheater.
Found out today that my pcv is out of order.
Will replace it.
Think i fond my problem.

Back