• Register Today It's free!

96 Explorer electrical problem

Crunchtime84

Reaction score
City, State
Marseilles, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Sport
Just bought myself a 96 Explorer sport and it has a few issues. All the lights on the dash don't work, as well as the rear running lights and the license plate lights. The fuses are fine. The dome lights all work. Is there possbily some kind of shared relay for all of those lights? Am I going to need to tear the dash apart?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have the dimmer turned all the way down do you?

LOL, no, I checked that. Wouldn't explain the running lights either

Ok I really need to dig into this thing. The kid I bought it from had hooked up LEDs for the guages and the running lights that plugged into the cigarette adapters but I went to go take it for gas tonight and now I'm not getting power to those either. I'm starting to think I got a little screwed.

Don't forget that you could have two problems, the rear bulbs could be burnt out. Unless there is a wiring problem all of the park/side marker/license bulbs are fed from the same place so they should all work the same.

Well I had a few minutes today to Look at it. All the fuses are good. I managed to fix the problem with the LEDs, the cigarette lighter adapter was shorting out inside itself so at least I can drive it at night now.

I pulled the tail lights out and checked the bulbs, they are good, I did find that for some reason the license plate lights connection was unplugged and has been for some time. The adapter was seriously corroded and nasty from being open to the elements so I'm going to need to new male and female connections. I also saw that one of the wires was cut going to the connector, it was black with a white stripe. I have a Haynes manual on the way, I'll see if that has the wiring diagram, otherwise I'll have to find it somewhere.

I also saw that one of the wires was cut going to the connector, it was black with a white stripe. I have a Haynes manual on the way, I'll see if that has the wiring diagram, otherwise I'll have to find it somewhere.

Great place for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

WELL, it is only 1 issue causing both sets of lights not to work. I checked it out today, apparently when I checked the fuses I didn't notice fuse #3 was missing. That is the head light/running light/ dash light fuse. (apperntly the headlights still work even without this fuse??) I replaced it and found out that when I turn the headlight switch to the park position, it blows the fuse. Now I just have to figure out if it's the switch or a short.

Back