• Register Today It's free!

96 explorer with gangster lean

AWD96spoon

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer AWD
So as the title says, my 96 is leaning slightly to left. I have recently replaces both rear leaf sets with new ones from rockauto, put in new Rancho shocks all around, war shackles and add a leaf to the new springs, as well as a 2 inch TT. But the truck still leans to the left even with an almost empty tank. What else in the back of the truck could cause it to lean? It' not a handling issue but after dropping all this cash into it and it not being level has me kinda annoyed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably torsion bar that's needs a tightening or possibly worn out the driver side bar is always cranked more than the passenger because of the fuel tank, driver,..etc is on that side. If your springs in the rear are flat check for broken/cracked leafs. But I'm guessing your torsion bars need some adjusting.

The springs in the rear have a good arch to them and are brand new, no cracks. The driver side torsion bar is cranked up as far as it will go.

Up to 3/4" is allowed per spec

Lower the passenger side a little.

Have you try to lower the right front?

Yes, the front is level.

No one asked if the front was level. It’s a balance. You will not be able to get the truck level on all four corners without adjustable shackles in the rear. How much lean does it actually have ?

It's an inch lower on the left than the right.

I will try lowering the passenger front tomorrow and see what happens.

Have you try to lower the right front?
^ Good call. Adjusting front affects the opposite rear corner. Front passenger down = Rear driver up.
It's an inch lower on the left than the right.
^ Meaning front, or both front and rear? Lowering the passenger front is likely the easiest and best solution. Keep in mind, one inch lower in front does not always equate to one inch higher at the opposite rear corner. Also, any time front ride height is adjusted with the torsion bolts, camber and toe changes, and alignment should be checked. Took me one week of tweaking my lowered ST's side-to-side ride height to get both sides within 1/4" of each other. Shouldn't be an issue, but check bump stop clearance from the LCA 's when lowering. Good luck, and post your results after jouncing the front and the height settles.

Forgot to ask, although unlikely. Are both front a rear sway bar end links connected and not broken?
Unlikely because there is little or no load on them unless turning when the side-to-side weight shifts.

The rear left is an inch lower than the right rear. The rear seat bar end links are in place and in good shape and the front end links are new and attached. I'l post results tomorrow.

After a couple hours of day
Adjusting my torsion bars and driving it around some rough roads, I got it to a point I'm happy with, still a little less than a half inch difference but I can live with that. Thanks for the hel guys!

Great to hear! Thanks for the follow up, Hopefully, there won't be any "get a fat girlfriend" jokes. ;)

The rear sway bar is attached in a manner to allow it to push upward on the driver side more than passenger side, to help maintain level with the added weight of the driver, battery , transfer case and fuel tank all being biased to the left of the vehicle. The front torsion bars are also unequal length to aid this.

The upper, rear sway bar link mounting bolt is about 1.5" lower on the driver side frame rail than the passenger side. Worn sway bar bushings could allow more left side lean.

Good info, I'll check out those bushings and see how they look.

Back