• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 mounty idles like crap!

pufferfish

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mounty 5.0
Ok, it all started last summer. got a code for bad upstream o2 sensor. truck still ran well, so i put it off. the code went away and came back occasionally. then, in early december, the truck started running like poo and i got a code for the cam position sensor. pulled the sensor (total carnage under the cover) and replaced it. after that, the idle ran really rough and stoplight takeoffs resulted in a hesitation, stumble and then going. no codes thrown. thought i installed the CPS wrong. took it into a shop. CPS was installed correctly, but TPS was bad (no code was thrown?). i forgot to tell the guy to replace the o2 sensor while he was working on it. truck ran better for a day, then it did the studder thing once a day, then twice a day, then all the time. the code for the o2 sensor came back more frequently now (was every other month, now every other day). took it back to the shop. both front o2 sensors were bad, but shop guy couldn't get the truck to idle at all. said it was the MAF. not wanting to spend money on parts that aren't bad, i got one from a yard and brought it to him. yesterday, he put it in and the truck ran perfectly. better than it had in 2 years! last night, drove it to dinner and it started the funky idle thing again.

my take: computer is disconnected every time it goes in. runs perfectly until it relearns. as time goes on, it compensates more and more and gradually makes the idle issue more frequent.

can anyone help stop this? mechanically, the truck is sound and i'd hate to have to get rid of it, but i can't keep throwing money at it. is the computer bad or is it responding to some other issue?

now, on top of the idle issue, i just got a P0133 code while out for lunch. that's a faulty front o2 sensor on bank 1. funny, both were just replaced. maybe its a bad wire?

Back