97 AWD 5.0 creeps forward when parked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD 5.0 creeps forward when parked

Ivyhill

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer AWD EB
ok, I bought this Explorer a few days ago, its a 97 AWD 5.0, it has 233k miles on it. I drove it home that night, backed it into our parking spot here at the apartment complex. I came out the next day, and it wasnt in the same spot, it had moved 3 feet or so, I thought did I really park it that far away from the curb? So I moved it back. My wife and I rode to work in her car that day, when we got home, it had moved forward about 3-4 feet. Son of a :mattmoon: ! So my question is, is this a transfer case or transmission issue? I tried setting the parking brake, but that is toast. So currently im using wheel blocks everywhere I go with it. If it is the transfer case, how hard is it, and how long does it take to rebuild it yourself? I dont know much about cars, medicine and guns are my expertise, so this is going to be a huge learning experience for me....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See if you have a front driveshaft installed. Most common issue on the AWD
models is that the front coupler on the transfer case goes, so people remove the front shaft to continue driving. The creeps in park is a pretty good indication that the driveshaft is probably gone due to a damaged transfer case coupler. I Cannot tell you how to fix it if that is your issue as I have
converted mine to 4WD by using a F150 transfer case. But there are several
threads around here on people fixing that transfer case. (BW4404 transfer case)

Its not the driveshaft thats bad. The tcase has a viscous coupler for all wheel driving, it allows slippage when the two axles are in a bind, similar to a clutch. Its this viscous coupler that goes bad. I have 3 vehicles that I used this tcase tempoarily, and every case I've seen, including mine, have done it. Id upgrade tcases...

SVT

@OP: You don't have the front drive shaft in. You got ripped off.. paid for a AWD and you got a damaged 2WD.

OP look underneath the front end. you will most likely find the front driver shaft is missing. while it's possible someone removed it due to a drive shaft issue, it's more likely it was removed due to a damaged "center differential" (just for you SoNic67) AKA transfer case.

in the mean time, it's safe to drive, but when parked it will slowly roll (drift) away. use your parking brake, assuming it works, or chock your wheels when parked to prevent the drifting.

lol, i woulda felt like a dumbass if it didnt have a front drive shaft, but it does. Is it worth it to rebuild the T case? How long does it take?

lol, i woulda felt like a dumbass if it didnt have a front drive shaft, but it does. Is it worth it to rebuild the T case? How long does it take?

i believe a professional rebuild will run you about $1200. you'd do better if you can find a good used one. i don't know what a rebuild kit would run, or whether your level of mechanical skill would be sufficient. there was a good post on this forum (maybe last month) it had a lot of info and really good pics on the subject.

BTW, you wouldn't be the first person here to find out they didn't have a front shaft. i had the opposite experience. i bought what i thought was a 2WD, only to find out it was an AWD. fortunately for me, mine works fine. i just don't need it.

Hey, my front shaft just started a couple of days ago to make loud clicking noises.
So... I need to remove it and repair it.

I assume that's the reason why most of the people remove the front shaft - to avoid paying for repairing it.

I was at the local pull-a-part yesterday and there were a few V8/AWD models in there, still with the transfer cases and driveshafts. I think both from the yard would be less than $100 although you'd probably have to at least put a new chain in the case. New chain is about $75.

Used cases on eBay go for around $150, otherwise rebuilds will run you around $750-$1000.

cool, thank you guys for all the info. Masospaghetti, where is the pick a part at? we are in s charlotte, arboretum area.

Its not too far. Its on North Tryon, towards University City, just past Sugar Creek rd. There was a 98? blue Eddie Bauer with the transfer case (6-bolt front flange) but no front driveshaft, and there was a 96 V8 XLT (forgot the color) adjacent to the Dodge/Chrysler area with the transfer case and front driveshaft together. This was as of Monday when I was up there. The 96 still had the V8 badges so easy to spot.

thanks, I think I may try to go out there saturday

Back