• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD transfer case in a 98?

1998rollover

Reaction score
City, State
Weiser, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
Will an AWD transfer case from a 1997 Explorer work in a 1998 Mountaineer? Both have V8 with automatic. The 98 does not have the speedo connection on the transfer case.

The viscous coupler has siezed in the 98. I put it on my lift, trans in neutral, parking brake on. Used a pipe wrench to turn the front driveshaft and the back wheels would turn even ith the brake on, no slip at all at the front shaft. Should be loose enough to turn slowly but no loose enough to turn by hand. There's also plenty of slack when the front shaft is turned back and forth plus a loud clack.

As with most things vehicular, out here in the wilds of Idaho they're bloody expensive and a t-case without the speedo connection appears to be extra rare. (At least for one that's available to buy.)

The 1997 case I can get at a price that won't make the wallet bleed but don't know if it'll work.

If not a direct fit perhaps the VC and chain can be transplanted to the 98 case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I have done is split them apart, and make one that will work. Make sure the front output has the correct flange for you driveshaft. The one you might work as is, just keep the VSS in there to keep it sealed. If you don't have a VSS, pull the rear half off the 98 and put it on the 97.

I don't have a way to remove or reinstall that 400+ foot pound rear output flange nut. Can the VC be swapped without removing that nut?

There's nothing connected to the transfer other than the vent hose. The speedometer sensor is on the rear axle, on top of the differential.

i dont see why it wont. the speed sensor is in your diff. everything should bolt up with no problems. or you can go the other route, and swap in a 4406 case.

If I wanted a 4x4 to go off roading I'd buy a different truck. ;)

If I wanted a 4x4 to go off roading I'd buy a different truck. ;)

there is more then one benefit for that swap. you have a little more power, the steering isnt as heavy, you gain a few mpg, you dont have to change all four tires at once. i did this to my truck, and it will never see any off roading ever.

Picked up one with around 100K for $100 cash. Has next to no slack in the chain. Not going to do anything to it except change the ATF.

The speed sensor on it will just be there doing nothing.

Back