• Register Today It's free!

97 clunking knocking front end

cwradio

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 explorer
I am experiencing a clunking or knocking noise at all speeds. Feels like it is coming from the suspension or steering column. Firestone tells me ball joints and other front end items are OK. But steering shaft seems to knock. Theyt aren't sure if that is wrong.

Ford dealer then looks and says steering shaft OK but wants 698.00 to replace both lower ball joints which they say are completely shot???

698 includes front end alignment which they say is necessary after installing new ball joints.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fords price is a bit high , but this job is labor intensive. Could shop around for a lower price.

mine posp, creaks. rattles, snaps, squeals and all kinds a noise on a 97 fron suspension. i think the 35's put stree son all kinds of neat parts and make em go pop in that all kinds of times.

$700 for lowers is insanely overpriced! I put did one of my own lowers, but then didn't have enough time to do the other, so had a shop put in the other lower I didn't get to, along with an upper plus alignment for a little over $300. The upper is pretty expensive because it can't just be pressed out. But you're spending twice as much for less.

thanks for the reply's. The 698 also included an 88 dollar, "let us look and see what we find" fee that had to be paid up front. Firestone's price was considerably less, but they missed it altogether when they inspected in their shop. I can't in good consience go back there.

I'll shop price. Based on what you guys are saying, I believe I can get by for a lot less even walking away from the 88 bucks. At the end of the day, I'm betting my explorer will still knock and klunk like the steering box or front suspension is gonna fall apart.

Thanks again.

get greasable ball joints they last alot longer then the sealed joints from ford

Hey EBInterceptor!
I don't post much here....just like to read all the info! But I need to ask a question....
My 97 is going to the shop tomorrow for upper and lower ball joints on the right side.
We got our own parts and being a woman (HA) I'm afraid I didn't get the right parts.
Do I have to replace the lower control arm too? I did get the upper control arm and one lower ball joint. Sorry for the dumb question!

The lower ball joints can be pressed out, but the upper control arm has to be replaced along with the upper balljoint. Haynes manual says that the lower control arm needs to be replaced along with the lower balljoint, but it's bs, it can be pressed out and many people have done it.

As a matter of fact...I just was looking at my Haynes manual and that's why I was worried. Thanks! This board is more helpful than the ole Haynes manual.

cwradio said:
I am experiencing a clunking or knocking noise at all speeds. Feels like it is coming from the suspension or steering column. Firestone tells me ball joints and other front end items are OK. But steering shaft seems to knock. Theyt aren't sure if that is wrong.

Ford dealer then looks and says steering shaft OK but wants 698.00 to replace both lower ball joints which they say are completely shot???

698 includes front end alignment which they say is necessary after installing new ball joints.

Just do it all yourself = saving a TON of money. You can get lowers from AutoZone for about $35, and use their press to get the joints out. If you're not very tool handy do alot of searching and see where other people made mistakes, and also see what tips they give to make it go smoother. No biggie, it's just time consuming (even for shops, that's why the labor is so high).

Thanks to all who posted.

This board is really handy. Now it's onto my shimmy shaky rearview mirror problem.

Thanks again ...cwradio

Back