97 Explorer exhaust blew up, really big bang | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer exhaust blew up, really big bang

Ryan318

Reaction score
City, State
rmandeville318@gmail.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I have a 97 Explorer it would start and not start some times but drove good. Then one day I got gas and it started putting. My buddy works on cars and he said it probably got water in the fuel so he had me put some stuff in the tank that gets the water out ( I for got the name ). After a couple days it finale stop putting. After a couple of weeks of driving it just wouldn't start ( turn over ) one morning so I go to work and come home and try to start it that's when the exhaust blew up. My question is why did that happen and how do I go about fixing it or is it even wroth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like you were dumping un-burned fuel into the exhaust. BOOM!

You're going to have to get under it while on a lift or jacked up and inspect the exhaust to see where it failed. You can get pre-bent, cut to length, bolt on pipes, muffler, catalytic converter, at places like Auto Zone then you may need to either expand the pipes as needed or pay a ~muffler shop a small amount to do it for you.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much you're liking the vehicle. Parts + DIY labor should end up under $200 if you can get some coupon codes to work at Advance Auto Parts or if some of it is salvageable which is likely, though I don't know if yours has dual pipes and cats which could raise the cost. Having a shop (non-dealer) do it, I'd expect it to run closer to $500, or less if there's less damage. It may have only failed in one area and be under $100 to DIY. It might be as cheap to get the parts off Rock Auto's website.

As for how, if you get the pre-bend, ready to install pipes then you just take the bolts out, take it off the hangers, and may need a hacksaw, angle grinder, or whatever is convenient to cut somewhere. Measure twice before cutting anything. Expand pipes, slip (beat) it together, put clamps on joints. If you're into welding there's another option but welding before putting it on "could" be tricky or impossible if the vehicle isn't on a lift. Keep in mind that if you end up with fuel in the exhaust from running it again, then sparks from cutting could be a problem. However I'd expect you'd want to wait a while, at least for it to cool down before working on the exhaust.

Thanks J C that was very helpful I'm gonna look into it and let u know what happen. It does not have dual exhaust, it sounding like I should take it to a shop. Do u think I would have to do anything with the engine or just focus on the exhaust? Thanks again for the information!

If it seems to run okay still except for the noise and possible error codes from incomplete exhaust, then fix the exhaust and take it from there. No more problems = no more work.

Back