97 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd AT --Tranny problem, help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd AT --Tranny problem, help?

sudz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Exlporer XLT
Hi guys, long time listener, first time caller. Ive scoured and scoured and have seen a number of problems CLOSE to what im experiencing, but yet to see that one guy who has what I have going on. My explorer is a 97 xlt 4wd auto. It will drive fine for about 20 minutes, then the OD light starts flashing, then it starts shifting harder and harder and harder. Go out the next day, same thing. Light is off when I start, then comes on later. I plan on doing a filter and fluid change as a first step, but also get the code of P0741, TCC Solenoid stuck off. Is this something I should also look at changing while I am "in there" or do my symptoms not line up with a bad TCC Solenoid? ANY advice would be appreciated, thank you! --Luke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0741 FORD

P0741 FORD - Torque Converter Clutch Mechanical System

Possible causes

- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
- Faulty torque converter clutch solenoid valve
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Transmission internal mechanical problem

Help with Possible causes Help with this

When is the code detected?

ECM detected excessive transmission slippage or no TCC solenoid operation

Symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

P0741 FORD Description

The torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, with the gear in D4, by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the vehicle speed and the Engine Control Module (ECM). Lock-up piston operation will then be controlled. When the torque converter clutch solenoid valve is activated, the torque converter lockup clutch will engage creating a 1 to 1 RPM ratio between the transmission input shaft and the rotational speed of the torque converter.

Lock-up operation, however, is prohibited when A/T fluid temperature is too low.

When the accelerator pedal is depressed (less than 2/8) in lock-up condition, the engine speed should not change abruptly. If there is a big jump in engine speed, there is no lock-up.

FORD Technical Service Bulletins for P0741 code

2003 FORD EXPLORER Power Train Details

1996 FORD TAURUS Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1996 FORD WINDSTAR Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1997 FORD TAURUS Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1997 FORD WINDSTAR Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1998 FORD TAURUS Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1998 FORD WINDSTAR Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1999 FORD TAURUS Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

1999 FORD WINDSTAR Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

2000 FORD TAURUS Power Train:automatic Transmission:torque Converter Details

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0741_ford.html#ixzz2Z7q77prP

Thank you! I can tell you that there does not seem to be the abrupt jump in RPM I have seen in other areas. Fluid is not low, cannot speak to dirty or not, so I guess I will do the fluid and filter change first, then come back if that doesn't work. I appreciate the response, and it does give me some more things to look for and read about. Thanks again jrem

I have the same truck, and have dealt with P0741 before. Check your fluid...before mine went South, the fluid turned gray. I suspect that torque converter will soon fail.

drdoom, what would cause it to only be a problem after 20 minutes of driving like clockwork though? I would think if that was failing, it would be more sporatic or have problems from the get go

Luke, I really am not sure why it comes and goes like that, other than possibly the warming of the hydraulic systems, and of course it goes away when you shut it down.

The TCIL (transmission control indicator lamp, the "official" name for the o/d off light) started flashing on mine one summer day in 2006 while on the interstate. A day or so later my t-case went out, and I left the truck on the farm for five years or so, seldom run because it had 4LOW only. In late 2010 I made the repairs to the t-case, and went about my way.

So after a couple of months, the TCIL flashed...I was like "oh yeah I forgot about that!". So needless to say the fluid turned gray and the torque converter was loosing lock-up. So on the way back to the shop to use the scanner, it started to slip and then overheated. It was epic. To read more go to the transmission sub-forum and do a search for my thread "Trial By Fire".

I've never seen that flashing OD light be anything easy. But who knows.

Alright, more and more reading, I think what I plan to do is replace the entire valve body with new solenoids and gaskets, new fluid and filter, and if that don't fix it, then...well....

Sounds like a good place to start, and when you drop the pan you can see how that looks. If you have further problems at least you have the valve body squared away.

Alright, first step, replaced filter, new fluid and some Lucas conditioner, at first it wouldn't even shift right AT ALL. Light blinking, filled OVER fill line, and seemed to work fine, took it out for over an hour of driving after that. in the first 10 minutes it slipped out of drive twice, put in park, put back in drive, and it drove. then was fine for the next hour, slipped once again at the end, light never came on and it never kicked hard when shifting, but it did slip on me, any recommendations, or just drive more and see what i got? it is for sure better, but almost seem to have new issues now, as this wasn't the problem i was having before. Not a motor head, so any thoughts are good, and you guys been great so far, want to give a big thanks for all help and thoughts, i appreciate it more than you know!!

Forgot to say that pan actually looked better than I expected, really not bad at all

Back