97 limited wiring harness to a 98 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 limited wiring harness to a 98 sport

LoquetusofBorg

"Resistance is Futile"
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eureka, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport-Limited
Can anyone tell me if a 1997 ford explorer limited under dash wiring harness will fit a 1998 sport, plug and play sort of thing. I have the maintenance cd for my 98 but none for the 97. I have enough electrical savvy to do soldering and other thing buy prefer not to. Anyone done this or would i be wiser to wait for a 98 limited to show itself. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

97 is non pats and a few other little differences, what exactly are you trying to do? Awesome name btw

Hello. I am in the process of making my explorer something it wasn't from the factory, a limited! I have the limited steering wheel with the radio/heater and cruise controls and next month i will have the column for it and clock spring. I also have the electronic heater control and message center,( I have opted not to use because it takes up valuable real estate on the console). Other then the aforementioned it was loaded with everything i wanted, but I always have room for improvement. Thanks for the help I will proceed by looking for a 98, 99. Yes, I have loved that name "Loquetus of Borg" and have had it sense 1996, i know it is silly to like the name of a science fiction / galactic kick-ass bad guy but i do......

Hello. I am in the process of making my explorer something it wasn't from the factory, a limited! I have the limited steering wheel with the radio/heater and cruise controls and next month i will have the column for it and clock spring. I also have the electronic heater control and message center,( I have opted not to use because it takes up valuable real estate on the console). Other then the aforementioned it was loaded with everything i wanted, but I always have room for improvement. Thanks for the help I will proceed by looking for a 98, 99. Yes, I have loved that name "Loquetus of Borg" and have had it sense 1996, i know it is silly to like the name of a science fiction / galactic kick-ass bad guy but i do......

i was more of a "Seven of Fine" man myself.

Indeed, that was one fine a-- Borg..... I would have nestled into her like a tic on a wet dogs back.......

Can anyone tell me if a 1997 ford explorer limited under dash wiring harness will fit a 1998 sport, plug and play sort of thing. I have the maintenance cd for my 98 but none for the 97. I have enough electrical savvy to do soldering and other thing buy prefer not to. Anyone done this or would i be wiser to wait for a 98 limited to show itself. Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think a 97 will work in a 98.
Contact Si, [MENTION=43299]blueka[/MENTION] , he has done it before and knows exactly what to do. It's second nature to him. Great guy.

Use entire limited harness or you will be miserable

Read my Pickle registry

Si

Wow, what a great read Blueka. You did exactly as I am going to do, except for the V8 and a thousand other things. I will get all under dash wiring from one rig, my year 98 or a 99. I will try to get the column from the same rig but they seem 2 go quickly. When I take the harness I will have to take the blend door actuator, gem module and of course the fuse panel. I am hoping not to have to change the engine bay as I can live without the wiper fluid sensor and i believe there is one more sensor for the message center. If my gem module is the same as the one I am replacing I will keep mine, I will try not to mess with the pats system. I see you took the entire harness for the doors also, could you please elaborate on that? was it because the sport would not mate up? That is one beautiful rig. I just don't have the money for all those mods or a place to work on it. (i live in an apartment). I am doing this over a huge time space. No regrets though i love the sport and always will. I see you feel the same way about yours. I look forward to seeing more pics of your rig when finished. Thanks again for the great read.

if you're going to mix/match wiring from different trucks/years, you're gonna have headaches..

Firstly, 98+ vehicles have PATS.. if you go with 97 dash wiring, you'll also need to change the ECU, engine bay harness, etc, or, have your current ECU reprogrammed to run without PATS.

in order to get the EATC to work, you'll need to put the Limited engine bay harness in,

You really need to use the entire wiring harness from one limited vehicle, so that way you've got everything

Hope that helps

Si

Thank you Blueka that does help. I will make sure i get both harnesses from the same year rig or one model year newer. I don't want to go with 2000 if can help it. Was the door harness for the seat memory? Thanks again.

yeah, I have memory seats, I had to extend the door looms to work. You will find it easier to grab the dashboard as a whole, also, the engine bay heater box is different on a limited to a non limited one.

So,

Engine bay loom/ECU/Fusebox etc
Dash
Interior wiring loom
Frame wiring loom
fuel pump (just in case plug is different)
Air ride set up for rear suspension
door wiring harnesses (front)
blower motor resistor
blend door actuator

I think that is all...

Si

Thank you. That list helps me tremendously. I was completely unaware of the heater box not being the same or the fuel pump wiring. It is great to have your knowledge in doing this because I cherish doing things once and doing it right. Again thank you and please let me know of any other detail no matter how small that has to do with this, (what I thought was going to be a small job), because I hate being irritated only because I sound like a "un-paid truck stop *****" in some cases.

I was lucky enough to be able to get 2 whole limiteds... a V6 and a V8.

By 2000 the wiring harnesses were pretty much the same for the V6/V8 Limiteds.

99 on saw changes to the fueling system, it was returnless, so that was also the reason for my decision to stay with the "00" model years.

The only thing you're not going to be able to do is the oil level/life sensor on the motor, the blocks are different from what I can tell.

Si

Are there any advantages of having return-less vs returned fuel system?

Also with all your mods what kind of gas mileage are you getting? It been my experience that the v8's get better mileage then the v6's. On the trucks anyway.

:bsnicker: sorry si. had to do it. (its a inside joke. hope si laughs at it instead of wanting to beat me over the head lol)

Also with all your mods what kind of gas mileage are you getting? It been my experience that the v8's get better mileage then the v6's. On the trucks anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the only mods to mine has been an ebay air filter... and lots of powder coating!! my gas mileage is crappy right now as I have a misfire... (haven't got any further than finding out that it's on cylinder 7)

I'm not sure of the benefits of returnless, but, if you're planning on going to a returnless system, you're going to have an even bigger project on your hands, differences in pump, lines, etc... (headaches galore)

With that being said, I would try to stay to the same model year that you already have shell wise... it will make your day a whole lot easier.

Si

Back