• Register Today It's free!

97 Mountaineer 5.0 trans question

Full Force

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer Premier
I just got a beater 5.0 Mountaineer, 5.0, when the trans is in drive it stays in first gear, if I put in 1st, then shift to second it goes into 2nd, put in drive goes back to first, is that the limp mode? trans works fine otherwise.... not too familiar with these...

I just got a beater 5.0 Mountaineer, 5.0, when the trans is in drive it stays in first gear, if I put in 1st, then shift to second it goes into 2nd, put in drive goes back to first, is that the limp mode? trans works fine otherwise.... not too familiar with these...

These trans have problems with 1-2 accumulators and springs. They can cause a delayed, harsh or no shift. The first step would be dropping the pan and removing the accumulator/ spring with a snap ring pliers. Careful, the accumulator cover may pop out with force, so some have used C clamps or bottle jacks to remove and install! Very common issue till 97 on crown vics, tbirds, mk8s and 97 explorers (same trans). You have to replace the parts(accumulator and spring) with updated ones. There could be other issues too but this is a cheap first step. Hopefully the bore isn't damaged.

Thanks!

Back