97 Mountaineer V8 Cmp issues?? Timing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Mountaineer V8 Cmp issues?? Timing?

topdog2007

Reaction score
City, State
Ga Mountains
Year, Model & Trim Level
Okay I am having serious issues with my v8 Mountaineer. When you start it the engine idles fine....you give it gas the engine hesitates badley under a load...pops sometimes and sounds like its starving for air....you can turn it off and on and it does the same thing....BUT...if and I mean only if the engine dies on its own and I recrank it the Stupid thing runs EXCELLENT until I turn it off and crank it back up then it starts the crappy cycle over again. I replaced the Camshaft drive synchronizer and the CMP sensor..and properly aligned it, IAC, TPS, Plugs, Wires....I thought it would help but the issue is the same...I am lost on whats wrong...I have read on here that possibly the Alternator could cause this issue.....and I had someone tell me its the computer.. Oh and my Gas mileage is TERRIBLE. Any help would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When was the last time the fuel pressure checked?

If you are getting popping through the intake especially when stepping on the throttle indicates a lean mixture...

Actually when you changed the fuel filter, what did the inlet side of the fuel filter drain out and look like?

Also what is the running voltage of the charging system while the engine is running? Anything under 13.5 volts is going to cause you issues with low voltage...

Fuel was clean when I changed out the Fuel filter...this thing is crazy...if I unplug the Maf it runs fine at idle until I give it gas and it dies! Plug the Maf back up and the Engine dies.....Could the Ecm be bad?

My next thought would be the ECT and ACT sensors...

If these sensors are not feeding back correct values, the PCM will try to compensate for whatever information it is getting...Have you been getting the check engine light on?

Are there any pending codes in the PCM or stored codes there?

If the camshaft syncronizer is off, the fuel injection pulse will be off as well...When you reinstalled the Camshaft syncronizer you did use the tool to set it and have the engine at TDC right?

And what is the battery voltage before you startup and after staering the engine?

No codes....I did use the tool to reinstall the synchronizer..and it was at top dead center..I actually have done it two times and I had a mechanic friend once also thinking maybe I did it wrong. A little while ago I cranked up the fuel pressure with the Maf unhooked and it drove pretty good for like 8 miles with only one little bit of hesitation while cruising.....I am baffeled because I didnt think it would drive far at all with the Maf unhooked!

14.3 volts when started up..........Alt is fine.....I unplugged the timing plug in the harness and again it ran fine until the truck was restarted.....any ideas whats up Guys???? I am lost. All my wiring is correct...I have been over it atleast four times to double and triple check things...Any ideas would be great...the Maf is unplugged as well just to keep it running.

Back