• Register Today It's free!

97 Problem child.

ColorMeConfused

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer 5.0 2wd.
So i have a 97 Eb 5.0 its been dubbed "Problem child" Dropped the trans pan today for a filter change and to my surprise its the first time it's been dropped since factory. 287k miles! and the inside of the trans wasn't even bad. No shaving! Anyways I'm hoping that part goes well. On to the question. Im pulling codes for both bank 1 o2 sensors and a restricted cat. Could the 02 sensors be causing the cat restriction code? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it running poorly like the engine is choking from a cat clog? I'd just replace the O2 sensors, clear the codes then see if any come back.

You may want to pour in one can of seafoam in your gas tank. That cleared the O2 codes I experienced. I used it successfully on O2 sensor codes on both our 99 XLT 5.0L and a 97 Taurus Duratec.

99 XLT 5.0L 249K Original Owner

will definitely try that. ever hear of a additive like sea foam called slick 50? Thinking about trying it.

So i have a 97 Eb 5.0 its been dubbed "Problem child" Dropped the trans pan today for a filter change and to my surprise its the first time it's been dropped since factory. 287k miles! and the inside of the trans wasn't even bad. No shaving! Anyways I'm hoping that part goes well. On to the question. Im pulling codes for both bank 1 o2 sensors and a restricted cat. Could the 02 sensors be causing the cat restriction code? thanks.
287K! You sure got your money's worth! I don't think that failing sensors would cause any harm to the cat converter, but some indication of failing sensors (what codes are you pulling?) + failing cat may mean trouble in one or more cylinders in the affected bank. Is the engine burning oil? That's a common cause of cat failure. Misfiring is another.

^ Which slick 50 product? They were originally making the oil additive which did little besides change the oil viscosity slightly, but in more recent years have branched out with other additives.

The Federal Trade Commission has charged Quaker State - Slick 50, Inc., the manufacturer of Slick 50, the best-selling auto engine treatment in the U.S., with making false and unsubstantiated advertising claims. According to the FTC, ads for Slick 50 that tout tests showing improved engine performance are false and its claims of reduced engine wear are unsubstantiated.

287K! You sure got your money's worth! I don't think that failing sensors would cause any harm to the cat converter, but some indication of failing sensors (what codes are you pulling?) + failing cat may mean trouble in one or more cylinders in the affected bank. Is the engine burning oil? That's a common cause of cat failure. Misfiring is another.

I'll have to find my paper on them.Iknow it was bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1. I have had an issue before with my number 4 plug fouling out. Gets oil on it. Takes about 3 or 4 months of daily driving to do it. Vehicle uses (or loses) a quart every two weeks or so.Depending on how much its driven. The cat code i believe was P0401 I'll look in a few minutes and see if i can locate the other two.

^ Which slick 50 product? They were originally making the oil additive which did little besides change the oil viscosity slightly, but in more recent years have branched out with other additives.

It was at Oriellys. It's called Engine restore. Pour in the gas tank.

^ Probably just a fuel system cleaner then, but afaik the best fuel system cleaner is still Techron.

If the O2 sensors are the originals then they're going on 22 years old now. I'd only use a fuel treatment if you felt the injectors were gummed up.

Is it running poorly like the engine is choking from a cat clog? I'd just replace the O2 sensors, clear the codes then see if any come back.

The engine runs fine for the most part. it has a small shudder during idle but rarely. Haha btw bud that link to the workshop manual you posted has saved my butt more than once. I owe you for that lol.

Back