drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
My 97 XLT w/ Borg Warner 4405 transfer (part time electric shift) case has
4WD low only...while driving downhill on dry road at 60mph, I heard a loud grating noise and the powertrain then disengaged completely (not even park). I had to put it in 4low in order to pull off to the shoulder. The switch motor is fine. Any suggestions?

My 97 XLT w/ Borg Warner 4405 transfer (part time electric shift) case has
4WD low only...while driving downhill on dry road at 60mph, I heard a loud grating noise and the powertrain then disengaged completely (not even park). I had to put it in 4low in order to pull off to the shoulder. The switch motor is fine. Any suggestions?

Need a new TC. Same thing here. Check craigslist.com in your area to find one or here. What you need. 4- 10mm for the skid plate. 5-13mm for the TC bolts. 6-8mm for the front drive shaft. 4- 12mm for the rear shaft. Only do the TC drive shaft blots. Then hang up the shafts. Unplug the harness pull back a little turn swing it down to the right to clear the gas tank brackets and it will come right out. Good luck.. :salute:

Sounds like the infamous shift rail bore issue.

I wouldn't get a used t-case, they will all have this problem eventually.

Read through this thread and you can build a 4405 stronger than stock.

Thanks everyone. Great info & write ups.

UPDATE: When I opened the case, I found that the shift fork guide bushings were shot, which caused the range collar to disengage at speed, stripping it of it's teeth. I replaced the range collar, shift fork guide bushings, and all seals.

UPDATE: Repair lasted for 15,000 miles, then went out again. Shift fork guide bushings look fine this time, but this time I am going to install an enhanced shift fork from omegamachine.com. Part number is 55754. Range collar I will get from tbtrans.com.

Back