'97 XLT Transmission Case Problem

UdoM

Reaction score
City, State
Durban/South Africa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello All,

when I turn my truck hard to the right and hit the accelerator I notice a funny noise from the left front wheel, as if it is not engaging from 4 wheel. We changed a module in the transfer case but the noise is keeping on going and the 4 wd lights are flashing. When I try to switch into 4 wd the light is not coming on.
We did a scan and got the error codes P1808 an P 1804.
Can someone please give me some advice what this means and what to do??
Sorry, but I'm really not a prof here.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for helping me out here.

Udo :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What model transfer case do you have? Are you sure of the Gem codes you got? I can't find any manufacture codes beyond P1783 or restart at P1900!
The 1700 series are definitely transmission codes. What module are you talking about on the transfercase? Is your tranny auto or std?

actron look up code, for my 98 4.0 ohv says 1804 means 4wd high indicator circuit open/short to ground. hope this helps

1808 says 4wd low indicator circuit circuit malfuntion

If what you changed on the transfer case was the shift motor, then the new one installed is a different version, or might be damaged. There are switches on the shift motor that tell the controller what position/range the motor is at. If the switches are damaged, or if the wiring connector configuration is different, the controller can't determine the state of the shift motor and usually refuses to do anything other than throw error codes.

The noise from the left front wheel is probably a wheel bearing going bad, but it could be something else. Please describe the "funny" noise. Growl, whine, squeal, ???

Back