98-01 MACH 6 disk...Head Unit Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98-01 MACH 6 disk...Head Unit Help

W

WhiteLimited

So...

My sub has not worked since I bought my 2000 Limited...So I got a new sub for Christmas but still nothing...So I thought it was my AMP and I bought an AMP from Don. Still nothing...

I got playing around and thinking...I power antenna has never work either. I have been looking around and reading because I am just pissed now.

Still putting two and two together...But what I think is my truck has the wrong head unit? Antenna and Sub not working has to be the head unit right? So what I need now is some pictures of stock 98-01 top of the line head units...6 disk CD changer, power antenna, 8 inch sub...

A picture of the front and back of the head unit would be nice. I found this and its helping put two and two together...

Pictures Please?

Heres what my head unit looks like but, you think it would say MACH or something.
0001-2.jpg

0002-1.jpg

0003-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are you talkin factory amp an factory sub ?

Can't tell for sure without seeing the part number on your radio, but, I think somebody swapped a non-Mach radio head unit into your vehicle. The radio you have does not have any output to the subwoofer amp. The Mach version of the head unit shown in your pictures would have a "DSP" symbol (in addition to "RDS") on the RDS button. Actually, neither one of these radios was offered on the 2000 model year Explorer.

Sorry about not having the "Mach" logo on the radio. Along with the "Ford 2000" company initiative, there was a big push to reduce cost by reducing complexity. We had to eliminate badging on the radios - no "Mach" or "JBL", not even a Ford oval (so they could use the same head unit in Fords, Mercs, and Lincolns) on the head unit.

The radio head unit that should have come in your 2000 Limited would have been a "Dual Media" radio (Cassette plus CD) with a part number F87F-18C868-AD.
regards,

Jeff

Head Unit

I have the factory Mach audio in my 99 Sport and that isn't the head unit that is installed in my truck.

are you talkin factory amp an factory sub ?

Yes...

Can't tell for sure without seeing the part number on your radio, but, I think somebody swapped a non-Mach radio head unit into your vehicle. The radio you have does not have any output to the subwoofer amp. The Mach version of the head unit shown in your pictures would have a "DSP" symbol (in addition to "RDS") on the RDS button. Actually, neither one of these radios was offered on the 2000 model year Explorer.

Sorry about not having the "Mach" logo on the radio. Along with the "Ford 2000" company initiative, there was a big push to reduce cost by reducing complexity. We had to eliminate badging on the radios - no "Mach" or "JBL", not even a Ford oval (so they could use the same head unit in Fords, Mercs, and Lincolns) on the head unit.

The radio head unit that should have come in your 2000 Limited would have been a "Dual Media" radio (Cassette plus CD) with a part number F87F-18C868-AD.
regards,

Jeff

Now, I am more confused then any thing :( My truck should have the MACH syestem. I have all the RDS and the 6 disk cd changer...I have the factory AMP and Sub in my back end. So what I am thinking is the old head unit was switched out...Is that what your saying?

I have the factory Mach audio in my 99 Sport and that isn't the head unit that is installed in my truck.

There is two kinds of MACH from what i understand...One has the in dash 6 disk CD changer and one has the 6 dish in the middle console like mine.

Audio system

My Mach audio system has the cassette and CD player in the head unit and the six disk changer in the console. However my head unit doesn't look like the one pictured in your message. I have no idea if there was more than one head unit offered with the Mach option though.

I have a feeling that the head unit might have been swapped out. Many of those era head units lost the display and a quick fit was to slide a replacement unit in the rack.

Danny, that looks like a regular cassette deck, I'm not familiar with any besides the Mach and Premium. Both of the Pioneer units have a CD in the face at top, and the cassette. The in dash CD changers didn't come out until the later trucks. It probably was at the same time that the Mach and Premium were no longer made.

FYI, we are talking about the large Mach/Premium HU's made by Pioneer. They came in many Ford vehicles beginning in 1998, ending just after 2001 or so. These all have the four mounting holes like your radio above. The Mach will have "MACH" written on the backside somewhere, as well as the part number like above.

You should be able to find one for under $75, remember that they all had a display problem. The repair should cost no more than $60, so one that is fixed should cost more, otherwise assume that it hasn't been fixed. I suggest starting with Kubiak here, a good parts source, he may have one for a fair price. On eBay they used to go for $100, hopefully by now they aren't so high.

Head Unit

I had the usual display problem with my head unit. I tried the "home" fix but gave up. I sent it off the a facility I found through this forum located in R. Island. Total cost including shipping was around $90.00. That was two years ago and it is still working great.

Drop me an email if you want the name of the place.

Can some one take a picture of the correct head unit for that truck...So I know what I am looking for please?

I found a truck for sale on ebay like mine it has this picture...
9080_4.jpg

It says on the ebay add that it has a 6 disk CD too so does that mean it has the On CD in dash and a 6 disk CD changer in the center console?

Yes, look at my last post again, I added a link to it to a place which sells lots of OEM radios. Ignore that retail $275 garbage, don't go buying from a place like that.

Lots of people part out these Fords all of the time, browse through forums and see if you can find one for $50 or less. The repair of the display should cost no more than $60, the actual new power board is less than $25.

Look at the link I posted, the Premium and Mach are right next to each other. Notice that they look identical, the Mach simply has the sub outputs in it. They both have the single CD in front and the RDS button.

All I need is for someone who has 98-01 top of the line MACH sound system to take a pictures for me...
I need to know if it has a...
Stock AMP and Sub...
6 disk CD changer
What does the head unit look like i need a pic...
Maybe even a in dash CD player...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radio shown in your post #13 is the "Mach" Dual Media radio that SHOULD have been in your vehicle. That radio has a CD mechanism (one disc only) AND a Cassette mechansim. If the guy advertised that it had "six discs" - he had to be referring to a separate six disc changer in the console.

The radio shown in your next post is NOT a Mach version - it is the "Premium" version Dual Media radio made by Ford (the "Mach" version was supplied by Pioneer). Again, this radio has a single CD and a Cassette. This radio WILL work with a remote CD changer, but it DOES not have a line-out for a subwoofer.

It's really difficult to tell them all apart without pulling the unit out and recording the part number.

regards,

Jeff

Back