98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler

To add to all of this, i'm actually about to get a 50 series as well cuz agreeing w/ everyone else i like the tone. However with a catback system won't that making the 50 series muffler louder in the end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would it be cheaper to get the Flowmaster Force II cat-back installed or the 50 SUV muffler with 2.50 piping? (custom cat)

Bump.

Also, there's no cutting involved with a catback, right?

Alright.. this shop told me my only option is 2.25 dual in, 3 single out.. which has to be adapted to 2.50.. They won't get rid of my rear cats... and all of this is gonna cost $525.. $200 for the flow50SUV and they suggested straight pipes for $350... I said I kinda don't wanna go that route and they said not to worry.. Fords aren't loud.

Wtf.. What do you suppose I should do?

Are straight pipes on an Explorer obnoxiously loud? Would it hurt performance to have dual straight pipes out the back?

yeah i heard straight pipes are loud

Alright.. this shop told me my only option is 2.25 dual in, 3 single out.. which has to be adapted to 2.50.. They won't get rid of my rear cats... and all of this is gonna cost $525.. $200 for the flow50SUV and they suggested straight pipes for $350... I said I kinda don't wanna go that route and they said not to worry.. Fords aren't loud.

Wtf.. What do you suppose I should do?

Are straight pipes on an Explorer obnoxiously loud? Would it hurt performance to have dual straight pipes out the back?

that's way to much money. I would bet he saw you coming a mile away. I paid a little over $300 for my exhaust around $180 for the muffler, and another $120 for labor and pipe. mine was 2.25 in and 2.5 out, but I can't seem to find that size on the flowmaster website anymore.

Stay away from straight pipes, especially duals, you'll lose tons of back pressure, and most of your motors low end power with it. Also it will be way to loud, you might like it at first but after a week or 2 you won't be able to stand it any more.

This is what it says on the quote:
1.5hr Install Muff
$139 Tail pipe (2.5)
49.00 (tip I think.. it doesn't have anything next to it)
$200 Muffler, Dual In/Single out [2.25 dual in/3.00 single out, adapted to 2.50]
Total $525
$350 w/o Muff.

Do not do straight pipes, do keep your rear cats. Straight pipes will be LOUD LOUD LOUD. DixieOnMyMind did straight pipes, there was at one point some videos, its way too loud and pops.

I got a SS Magnaflow Muffler, 2.5" all the way back from my converters to the tail pipe for $150.

Jesus, this place is trying to rip me off or something..

I really want this Flowmaster 50 SUV, but $525 is asking way too much.
I have viewed his videos, and looked through all this threads.. But I realized something.
I'll still have all four of my cats, and it'll be a single exhaust... would that tone it down a lot?

Do not do straight pipes, do keep your rear cats. Straight pipes will be LOUD LOUD LOUD. DixieOnMyMind did straight pipes, there was at one point some videos, its way too loud and pops.

I got a SS Magnaflow Muffler, 2.5" all the way back from my converters to the tail pipe for $150.

Dixie's sounded awesome imo for around town driving, but on the highway it'd get on my nerves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSyVCQrQhYY

I like his also.. but see the difference will be... I'll have all four of my cats, and it won't be dual.. it'll be single... with a Y pipe...

That HAS to tone it down a lot, right? I don't think it'll be that bad.. I think I'm going to go with it.. and if it's too loud.. I'll fork up the extra money and have em weld in the 50 Series.

Any suggestions?
Should I do a straight pipe setup? With all four of my cats?
Should I do something with the Flowmaster 50 SUV?
If so.. what? What can I do about this outragous price?..
Would Midas do this kinda work? Do they even carry Flowmaster?

I'm having no luck finding another shop that's not a major company.

I can't believe in all of Alaska there isn't another muffler shop. Don't skip the muffler because it is cheaper without it. Even with the Y pipe, it will be LOUD. Believe me.

Why do you want exhaust so bad anyway? I wouldn't want it bad enough to spend $500. Why not buy a cat-back from James and install it yourself?

Oh yea? What catback? This is new news to me..

How much? I'm interested.. I need details.

I'm not going to fork out $500, that's overkill to me for a simple muffler swap.

I really do like the Flowmaster 50 SUV sound though.

I just want a meaner sounding exhaust with a little less restriction, to go with my mac intake I'm gonna get. (Yea I know.. TMH... which will come another day.)

Any clips of these?

I don't have to cut anything, do I?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing I need to figure out... when my truck was built. I guess there was a change in how the exhaust is or something.. in 98...

And how come the 2000-01 catback won't work?

Back