98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler

I'd keep a muffler in the system. A couple cats will quiet it a little, a very little. If you like that old glass pack sound, go for the straight pipes. My Camaro in high school had open headers for a while. Im an older dude now and I like some sound but open pipes will make your head hurt after awhile. Even my race cars have some sort of muffler now. That 50 series isn't exactly quiet anyhow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wasn't aware there was a difference in the 2000 and 2001 exhaust setups. All you really have to know if its a flange connection after the cats or a slip connection. Given that yours is a 98, I'll bet its a slip connection.

Just Google the brand name of the exhaust, find the company's web site, and read up.

I guess this is what I'm going to go with..
Mac Intake/Cat Back.

....Ouch..

SKU Item Price Quantity Ext. Price
TK5068 96-98 Explorer/Merc. Mountaineer 5.0 V8 Dual Inlet 249.50 1 249.50
3659 97-01 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0 169.50 1 169.50
UPS Ground
(note: shipping charge may vary) 118.02
Shipment 1 Subtotal: 537.02

Ahh, see you get intake and exhaust for the same price as exhaust alone.

How do you finance such expenses without a job?

Also, if you are willing to spend $500 on a muffler and intake, why wouldn't you spend $200 more and see some real gains? :scratch:

I'd still need more money for labor costs.. I would not be doing it myself.... lack of tools and a garage.

My budget right now is 600-700$ or so.. and I have break pads I need to get and my hids.. lol...

6000K Dual Beams....
What other cool stuff should I get?

Does anyone have a sound clip of the Mac Cat Back on the 5.0?
I've seen the one of the white 5.0 Explorer on youtube.
Any other videos out there? On the road driving? Revving? WOT?

Any information on the catback? Macperformance.com isn't very specific.

Hm...
Mac CatBack + Mac CAI + shipping
MacPerformance.com = $537.02
HensonPerformance.com = $522.73

I think we have a winner!

Not too much of a difference, but... Nice... Every bit helps.
[I haven't ordered it yet, I want more information about the Mac CatBack.. Performance Results... Video/Sound clips... Installation instructions.......]

I've searched the Forums, read tons of threads.. Read two mustang 5.0 Articles on the Mac CatBack install..
But the Explorer is different..
I like the sound of this, but some have complained about a horrible drone.. and rattling systems.. Anymore information?
Would it be possible to not cut a single thing? To bolt it up and go?
How much to get it to be a side exit?
Any problems?
Any tickets?
I just need more information in general.
How do I know when my Explorer was built? There's two different types of Catbacks for my 98 on Henson, and only one on Mac.. can anyone explain this?

Crap... it says 10/97... Haha... my 98 was made 97..

Bumpity Bump for MAC CatBack Information/Reviews..

It was until the they wanted to charge me $525 for a simple muffler swap.

For around $10 more, I get a full cat back, and intake.. I think that's a pretty good deal under the circumstances.

The one main thing that's bothering me.. do I HAVE to cut the stock system in half? Can I do this without lifting? [Unhook all the hangers, and unbolt... without cutting after the muff... (and I noticed on one of the dual in pipes... it doesn't have bolts.. what's with that?)(on the catback pictures) ]

I just went outside and looked, both the dual pipes are held on with bolts.. but the pictures of the cat back system are different? On the catback pictures.. One has bolts... and the other is just a pipe?.. Could anyone explain that? I've noticed that on pictures of the flowmaster catback on this forum too... is mine just special because it's the pre 4-22-98 model of the 98??

Could anyone straighten this up for me? I don't want to end up getting a wrong part or something... or being stuck.. and having to go to a shop...

Does anyone have an actual picture of the pre 4-22-97 Mac Cat back? That'll answer a few questions for me..

All the sites have the post 4-22-98 catback as the picture.

I have the Mac cat-back system...well i did, but now i just have it cut off behind the muffler. First of all, on pre-98 explorers, the pipes are connected with a type of flange/plate thing (similar to headers), and on 98-01 explorers, the pipes are not. You will see what i'm talking about if you look at pictures on explorer express, which is where i ordered mine from a few years ago. Second, i remember one of the pipes had some 'ears' where you connect the pipes with some supplied hardware. The other pipe just kinda slipped over the existing pipe.

Storlied, i hate to do this to you, knowing that it took a lot of time and questioning for you to decide on the Mac system, but i wouldn't recommend it. And no offense, but i have the idea you are very picky about how things should be, and i just don't think you will be 100% satisfied with what you get. The way in which the pipes attach to the cat section of the exhaust seemed like it could have been better designed. The hardware was also a little weird to deal with, i still think i might not have received all of the necessary hardware to install it. :rolleyes: Then there are the hangers. The hangers on the stock exhaust have little ball things that keep them secure in the rubber pieces. On the Mac exhaust, there is nothing like that, so the hangers can easily slip out of the rubber, which is what happened on my truck. Every once in a while i would need to check and make sure the rear most hanger was still hanging on. Finally i drilled a little hole in two of the hangers, then slipped on a washer and put a pin through the holes.

A little story, the hardware supplied in the kit for connecting the tailpipe section and the muffler section didn't go together easily. One day i was a couple of hours from home walking back to my car in a parking lot, and i noticed the tailpipe was hanging down unusually low. Well i get under the car and come to find out both nuts on the two bolts are gone, the bolts are loose in their holes, and the tailpipe was hanging on by just the one hanger. So luckily i noticed and i was able to twist the tailpipe section out between the shock and leaf spring (a tight fit), and i had to drive home with it off. It sounded pretty cool, but it still was frustrating.

As far as performance goes, i noticed no gain in power or fuel economy. As far as sound goes, it was advertised on explorer express as having an 'unrelenting mustang sound' or something like that. Well that's definitely the case. On the freeway there is a lot of droning. Outside it sounds great, but inside the noise could almost make you deaf.

And finally, this is not a huge deal, it might be to you, but all of the pictures online i saw were of the whole system painted silver, but mine was black. Just thought i'd warn you. And the chrome tailpipe turned a little gold after a while.

If i were you i would get my choice of mufflers, then get an exhaust shop bend you up the rest of the system, and you can get it to come out the side if you want. The Mac system comes straight out the back corner. Hope that helps you out a little. :)

If i were you i would get my choice of mufflers, then get an exhaust shop bend you up the rest of the system, and you can get it to come out the side if you want. The Mac system comes straight out the back corner. Hope that helps you out a little. :)

I agree with this, get the muffler you like, and then have an exhaust shop weld it all up for you bending you a new tailpipe. You should be able to walk out the door with a new exhaust for about $200-$250 tops. You save over $100 on shipping plus the labor to have it installed.

Dan

I appreciate the input, I realize now how the systems differ.. mine will bolt up differently than yours did.. (easier in my opinion.. since it's not the weird pipe design)

I did notice that on a few pictures of mustang mac catback installs about the hangers..

My decision to go with Mac was because of what the local shops were quoting me.. (I personally think a simple muffler swap for $525 is ridiculous) And I've been looking for a place to get all the stuff I want in one stop.. because shipping is so expensive here.. For example.. I was looking to get the MAC Intake, and shackles.. but didn't want to spend twice as much in shipping.. from two different sites.. With this.. I can get my Exhaust modification and intake in one stop.. and it'll be taken care of..

After getting these ridiculous price quotes.. oh man.. you should have seen how much for a full custom catback.. and even duals..
I've always wanted the MAC intake, and the fact I can get a full catback with the intake for like $10 more than the simple muffler swap would have cost me seemed like a great deal for a person in my position. I do like the sound,(And you can't really beat the price..) although it's not what I was originally going for.. which was the Flowmaster 50.. for that deep roar kinda sound.. but listening to the Mac.. I love that mustang type sound... I was thinking.. If I do get the Mac catback.. I could have them weld it slightly.. and I could do what you did with the hangers.. As for the drone, as with any exhaust modification.. I could always have a resonator put in.. which should help a good amount.. right?

Honestly.. for what I've been quoted.. and the price of it all.. getting the intake thrown in too.. Do you think I'm making a pretty good decision?
Muffler swap = $525
Mac Catback/Mac CAI = $537 or so..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess you could get a resonator put in after. I understand it might be the cheapest option compared to other catback systems or a custom one from a muffler shop, but just be warned of the troubles you could potentially face.

Back