98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 5.0 flowmaster 50SUV muffler

I appreciate it, don't think I'm ignoring you.. I've noted the problems you had with it.. before you commented on all of this.. the only problem I read was of rattling.

I also find it kinda odd you didn't see any different at all..
What size is the piping? I've seen reference to 2.5 and 3" for the mac cat back.. What exactly is it? If it's 2.5.. I can see how any improvement would be very little to non-existent.. but if it's 3".. that's a pretty big change compared to the stock system..

It would be nice to get the Flowmaster catback, but they don't have it for my year.

Curious... did you have to cut your stock system in half to get it out?

Do you think I could install this without lifting the truck and cutting anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd have to hear it on a 5.0 Explorer before I consider buying it..

I don't want to spend my money on something I'm not going to like, and won't be able to return.. I'm sure you could understand that...

No sound clips for the 5.0.. the 4.0L only for clips.. n that'll sound a lot different.

Anyone know what exactly the Mac is? 2.5 or 3"?

And has anyone removed the stock system without cutting it? And lifting?

How long does it typically take an exhaust system to cool down to a safe handling temperature? [Since it's been heated n cooled so many times.. is it common to hear about the bolts melting themselves to the parts? Is that possible?] Do you think PB Blaster would even work well with exhaust work?

It depends on the outside temperature. The bolts can seize and rust, making them tough to remove. PB Blaster works great for everything.

Really, honestly, and seriously, just do it. You can sit here and talk about it until the end of time, but sitting talking never got anything done. The best learning is done while doing. Turn some wrenches, get a hacksaw and floor jack and go to it.

A job wouldn't hurt anything either.

I think i have heard the gibson before in person, not totally sure. There is an explorer 5.0 around my town with an aftermarket exhaust, it is really quiet, much too quiet for anyone that would not be paying attention to notice. The truck has no stickers on it and i've never been able to see the exhaust tip up close, but just based on the sound i have a feeling it is a gibson. Also, there's a white and grey mountaineer on cardomain with a gibson system and a few videos, but i know he has some engine modifications too. Even with the additional modifications, it is still too quiet in my opinion.

I agree with Mountaineergreen though. You have to eventually just jump in and do it. You can ask questions over and over and never find exactly the answers you are looking for. You wont truly know what the exhaust will sound like until it is on your truck. Videos and sound clips just don't do it that well. I honestly think half the fun of this is not knowing what to expect, because then when you hear it it will be that much more impressive. That's how it was with my Mac, even after all of the troubles i had.

yep-
you just gotta be a man and do it-and if it doesn't sound good do it again-

I'm putting together exhaust number--let's see, I think it is number 5 now.

Just waitin for my tax refunds.. so I can get it.. =)

Mounty71 I wouldn't suppose you have any vids/sound clips.. would ya?

Mounty71 I wouldn't suppose you have any vids/sound clips.. would ya?

Nope, i don't, sorry. I was actually thinking of making one earlier.

EDIT: Wait, on second thought, i might. Lemme see.

Ok, it wasn't intended for hearing the exhaust, but it might give you a bit of an idea. You have to turn the volume up LOUD to hear it. Go to my registry for my mountaineer in my signature, and at the bottom of my first post is a link to the video. And don't mind the girl at the end :rolleyes::).

I love your truck man.. it's perfect...
You just need 4x4 n ul be set.. =)

Is that just a normal magmount antenna or what? That's the exact look I'm going for.. I'm tired of my 4ft fiberglass whip up top... looks ridiculous..

[Was that before or after you cut off the tail pipe?]

Got anymore vids? With all the off-roading you do... those vids would be pretty entertaining..
And where did you get those 5.0 Emblems?

Ya 4 feet is a little big i think for a roof mount. Mine's just a mag mount, don't know how long it is, but its from radio shack. Thanks for the compliments. I wish it was 4wd too, but that's what my new toy is for.

Where did ya get the 5.0L emblems? N how did you attach them?

Would they be on something I could find in a junk yard?

I think I know what magmount you're talking about at radio shack.. how much did it cost? Do you think you could make more vids of ur exhaust and driving around? maybe some WOT videos?.. I might do the turn down idea too.. maybe..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Emblems from ebay, plastic peels off the back and they stick on. Original 5.0 emblems are found on fox body mustangs, but those are all chrome with a red period.

If i have some time in the next few days i'll try to make a better video.

Back