Anybody with a Flowmaster 50 Series Big Block on a 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody with a Flowmaster 50 Series Big Block on a 5.0?

parad1mg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mounty 5.0 AWD
Anybody here with a Flowmaster 50 Series Big Block hooked up to 5.0 v8 with stock manifolds? i'm looking to replace my stock muffler with a 50 series big block with dual in/single out and i figured to ask around first if and get any opinions on it. i just want to replace the muffler since a catback system would be out of my budget range. I really don’t want to have any obnoxious cabin drone and would love that deep rumble at idle. Based on the Flowmaster site the 50 Series Big Block sounds a lot deeper than the 50 series SUV.

i still have the stock manifolds on mine and a k&n intake. I’ve seen a couple of threads and polls on what kind are widely used/installed on their car and most of the magnaflow clips sound too raspy and loud.

Any insights would be of great help.. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and it sounds real loud and deep.

When I bought it the previous owner had the 70 series big block II and it was an alright sound.

But now since i got the 40 series it sound 10 times better than the 70 series.

Anybody here with a Flowmaster 50 Series Big Block hooked up to 5.0 v8 with stock manifolds? i'm looking to replace my stock muffler with a 50 series big block with dual in/single out and i figured to ask around first if and get any opinions on it. i just want to replace the muffler since a catback system would be out of my budget range. I really don’t want to have any obnoxious cabin drone and would love that deep rumble at idle. Based on the Flowmaster site the 50 Series Big Block sounds a lot deeper than the 50 series SUV.

i still have the stock manifolds on mine and a k&n intake. I’ve seen a couple of threads and polls on what kind are widely used/installed on their car and most of the magnaflow clips sound too raspy and loud.

Any insights would be of great help.. :D

Techieman33 has this setup-or did until he put Torquemonster headers on.He still uses the flowmaster single out.
I thought it sounded real good-IMHO
In fact-

bump.. getting this back there..

I’m still undecided on what to get and I still need more opinions. I saw the poll for the 5.0 exhaust with Flowmaster as the pick of the majority. aldive has a review on the 70 series but I need more info like does it have a deep mellow tone or a raspy sound to it? I’ve seen a lot with magnaflows but I want to hear one on a 5.0 v8. Super 40's like I said may be too loud for me. So far here are my selections:

1. Flowmaster 50 series SUV/performance
2. Flowmaster 50 series big block ( I really like the sound of this one in reference to their website but I don't know if the end result will be the same or even close to their sound clip)
3. Flowmaster 70 series
4. All other suggestions?

I really don’t want to sound like an import car with a ricer exhaust so insights, suggestions, comments, opinions, past experiences or any form of deeper information would be of great help on my decision of what to get.

Thanks in advance!!:thumbsup:

It’s 4:25 am here in VA and more than a handful of members are still online.. ahh, the naturally nocturnal :cool:

i love my 50 suv on my 4.0

here it is on a 5.0 exp.

Here's mine, it a 50 series suv, it's the dual 2.25 in, single 2.5 out. My mods at the time of this clip were just the muffler with the rear cats removed, and a CAI. It's pretty quiet inside until you get on it, then you'll hear it roar.

th_MOV00107.jpg

cool vids! i like the sound on the second clip aeaglenfitch. now i'm just wondering how come the three clips sound totally different from each other or maybe its just me?

is there a significant difference between the suv/performance and the 50 series big block (besides the price :D ) and does anybody run them here?

sorry for all the questions but i cant afford (literally) to swap mufflers from time to time.

well the first one is a 6-cylinder so that will sound a bit different.

oh, ok..how about techieman33's exhaust tone? its raspier compared to the 2nd clip posted by aeaglenfitch. do you guys think the 50 series big block will give out a deeper tone compared to the 50 suv?

i like the 2nd clip best and that's a 50 series SUV on a 5.0 v8. i'd go with it. i didnt like the sound of the 3rd clip, it was very raspy.

the second clip is actually my explorer. its not really that deep but its not raspy either, the camera wasnt that great. I do like my exhaust not too loud at highway speeds but I also did stick with stock 2 1/4 pipe. I might go 2 1/2 later to deepen it A little.
Oh and I added A Flowmaster 3 inch straight tip, and it did make A huge differnce in sound.

lol i just searched youtube for that clip. it's a small world i guess. i didn't know tips effected sound.

yeah, me too..is there anything special with the flowmaster tip? i mean its just a polished tube with the flowmaster logo engraved on it, right? :scratch: hehe..

hey yakuza76, i have a couple of questions about your muffler...
1. would you have gone with the 50 series big block?
2. hows the interior drone on the suv/performance muffler?
3. did the exhaust note improve?
4. anymore clips coming soon?

thanks dude!

yakuza, what mods did you have when you made that soundclip. that is exactly the sound i am looking for. right now i am stock. also is the 3" tip in that soundclip or was it added later?

yeah, me too..is there anything special with the flowmaster tip? i mean its just a polished tube with the flowmaster logo engraved on it, right? :scratch: hehe..

hey yakuza76, i have a couple of questions about your muffler...
1. would you have gone with the 50 series big block?
2. hows the interior drone on the suv/performance muffler?
3. did the exhaust note improve?
4. anymore clips coming soon?

thanks dude!

yeah there is nothin special about the tip just 2/12 in and 3 out straight with A Flowmaster logo on it. I just had A few extra bucks to throw away lol
Any tip the same size would be the same.

1. I probably would not, seemed A little too big for the 5.0. I actually wouldn't mind goin down to A 40 series for more sound.
2. The drone isnt too bad but there is A few times I need to roll up the windows to hear the kids talking in the back seats.
3. The exhaust sounds way better then stock and the tip helped even more but i'm still tryin to get A deeper sound so my next step is A 2 1/2 inch exhaust.
4. let me see if I can find where Madmike783 uploaded his recording of my exhaust . His camera is A little differnt so the exhaust sound differnt.

yakuza, what mods did you have when you made that soundclip. that is exactly the sound i am looking for. right now i am stock. also is the 3" tip in that soundclip or was it added later?

I had my stock intake tube with an Amsoil filter , the 3 inch tip , stock pipe with the resonator removed.

I would remove the factory secondary cat converters and put my new dual inlet single outlet muffler in that spot, then run new pipe up over the rear axle and out, 2.5" is plenty for the 5.0L, any larger and you will lose low end torque.

I would remove the factory secondary cat converters and put my new dual inlet single outlet muffler in that spot, then run new pipe up over the rear axle and out, 2.5" is plenty for the 5.0L, any larger and you will lose low end torque.

Does removing the bottom 2 cats really help with performance and sound??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been told that the 50 series mufflers don't fit on Explorers. I guess that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Back