98 Explorer OD Light but no shifting problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer OD Light but no shifting problems

98 Newbie

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
New to the site and love it. Actually been lurking on here for awhile and have used some of the good info to do a repair on a 98 tranny. OD light was blinking on/off and found the code to be a P0741. Replaced the Torque converter solenoid and light still comes on. Tranny Fluid Stick looks a little full on oil so I am going to suction some out and see if this solves the problem. Drove it after we replaced the solenoid and it shifted awesome with no apparent slipping in any of the 5 gears. Seemed that the light would not come on when the cruise control was on, but when I took the cruise off it would reappear. Shutoff the engine and restarted 3 times and everytime the light goes off until I've driven 15 or so miles and reappears when driving with the cruise off. Before replacing the solenoid there was NO apparent shifting/slipping problems as well. Any ideas hear? Reset the computer? Is too much oil still causing the OD Light to flash. The mechanic that helped me put the solenoid in said it seems to be shifting perfectly......but we still are both thinking that pulling a little excess transmission oil out may not solve this? Anybody have a similar problem?

Light is still blinking but shifting seems to be fine and TC is locking open after tranny warms up as before. Seems to shift with a littl more snap after installing TCC solenoid. Thinking it's the fluid pump/seal or the valve body. How long can a guy drive this thing with the light flashing. Seems that the tranny is shifting fine in all 5 gears. Anybody?

Back