98 explorer solid axle swap

Bigred89

refused to build a jeep
Reaction score
City, State
Hutchinson, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer sport xlt
What's up guys this is my first post here looking for some input, I have a 98 explorer sport 4.0 ohv with 4.10s and a manual. I'm just getting into the whole off-road trail riding thing and threw some 31 mt's on it with a front skid plate and it actually impressed me for being stock and I'm already throwing the idea around of doing a d44 swap and 60 in the rear.. I've done a solid d44 swap on my 89 f150 so I know the work involved but the question is, is it worth the time and especially the money? I'm not doing rocks or anything too crazy I'm here in Minnesota so lots of trails.. or should I just use the money for a winch and some fabed up bumpers and roll with it? HELP lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it worth it? Was it worth it on your F150?

Welcome to the forum.

Isn't the swap on the old F150s way more straightforward than a Second Gen?

Yes it is.Doing away with the PCM is not a good choice, so, You will need to fabricate a speed sensor tone ring onto the d60 to make this work.

Yes it is.Doing away with the PCM is not a good choice, so, You will need to fabricate a speed sensor tone ring onto the d60 to make this work.
it's strictly for off road use btw, so what about the speed sensor issue? I'm totally unaware of this, will it mess with the computer if it's not hooked up at all?

Isn't the swap on the old F150s way more straightforward than a Second Gen?
Yea it was alot more straight forward on my 89 f150.. especially since there's no rack and pinion like on the 98 explorers and up

Rack and pinion started in 95. The speed sensor is used to control the shifting, among other things, I'd assume.

If you need flex, then SAS, because a lifted torsion bar explorer is way stiffer in front than the leafed rear (all swaybars disconnected). As a result, the whole vehicle leans with the terrain that the front is driving over. I had my 99 xlt with one rear wheel in the air doing a descent once and it was a wild feeling. Those from the outside thought I was going to flop it. haha If the front flexed, it wouldn't have been as extreme of a situation. My jeep feels much better off road. If you are just doing light stuff, I wouldnt bother with all the work of a SAS.

it's an '01 sport Trac, but so far it's been worth it..
https://scontent.***c1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/20643225_863066927185353_7636728044452009980_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=3ced1ffb85d030d6bf085ebac1de30ea&oe=5A521962

Yea I was looking at it again this weekend and just figured I would just leave it just because I don't do anything real heavy as far as off road, not to mention dealing with the whole torsion bar set up and rack and pinion so I would eventually like to get a first gen explorer to actually do an sas on and get a lil more serious with

fair enough, we put a body lift on our second gen, with 35s and it goes EVERYWHERE..
Recently we traded my brother for a liberty, and he joined the forum, I know he is seeking every avenue to get budget height and travel out of his suspension, I'll have him post a picture or two..

fair enough, we put a body lift on our second gen, with 35s and it goes EVERYWHERE..
Recently we traded my brother for a liberty, and he joined the forum, I know he is seeking every avenue to get budget height and travel out of his suspension, I'll have him post a picture or two..
How do those cv axles do with those 35s? Lol but I was thinking 33s would be good enough for me so maybe a body lift ain't a bad idea

How do those cv axles do with those 35s? Lol but I was thinking 33s would be good enough for me so maybe a body lift ain't a bad idea

35s will be hard on lots of stock items. With tires that big you need to off road with your head, and not the skinny pedal.

35's stock driveline,, daily driver,, with rear locker,,

rollin 35's.jpg

with normal driving and spraying it down at the car wash i still have the same parts 5 years later ;)

I'm pretty surprised haha, I don't have a real heavy foot I like to creep but climbing hills is fun so I'd probably go with 33s as the tallest on stock shafts. I have 31 mt's now and it does great but I have high centered it and the rear bumper took some good hits on some rocks haha I gotta say tho I'm pretty impressed with it and it helps having a manual with 4low and 4.10s

Back