98 Explorer Timing Chain ISSUES???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer Timing Chain ISSUES????

98explode

Reaction score
City, State
Stuart,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4.0L
I have recently came into a 98 ford explorer XLT package with the 4.0L SOHC engine in and I was told the chain was broken but i am not sure haven't tore into it just yet its getting fuel and spark but isn't starting and it kinda has a funny sound to while its turning over nothing is hitting, i can see that timing chain on the driver side through the oil filler cap and its tight and spinning when i turn it over but it sounds like something isn't spinning but it turns over free doesn't sound like it hitting anything or grinding but I do not have any money tied up in and i was wondering if i should just put a motor in it and see what happens because it doesn't seem to be in bad shape other than the motor tranny fluid is clean the guy said he was driving it everyday and then it just died on him and they didn't want to fool with it so i went and pulled it out of his back yard and took it the house i have a title for it and everything. just wanting to get some input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there's also a rear timing chain, and on the 4WD's a another chain that goes to a balance shaft. if there's a broken timing chain the engine is most likely trashed (valves hitting pistons). re-manufactured SOHC engines are very expensive and not worth putting in. used engines will probably need to have the timing chain parts replaced, as it's a weak point with these engines. cheapest/easiest route would probably be to find a used 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC engine and use the long-block, assuming you can do the work yourself.

I can do the work just wanted to get a opinion i was gonna buy a motor that is running fine and pull it and put it in if i can find one.

is the mustang engine the same like put it in and plug in the wiring harness or is there stuff i will have to change

is the mustang engine the same like put it in and plug in the wiring harness or is there stuff i will have to change

the long block is the same, with improved timing chain components, less the 4WD balance shaft (which isn't a deal breaker). you'd need to transfer parts over from the old explorer engine to make it plug-n-play (intake, sensors, fuel injectors etc.).

Back