98 mercury mountaineer 5.0 rear and front diff question? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 mercury mountaineer 5.0 rear and front diff question?

Kushaholic612

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I am looking everywhere on the how to lists and I cant find the answer, and I tried searching, anyways. I am trying to change the differential fluid on my 98, 5.0 Merc mounti and I'm seeing video's of people taking the back cover off! Is there no drain plug on the back diff. or r these fools "special"? I need to also flush my front differential because I'm towing a 6x8 trailer from minneapolis to denver and already know I need a rear wheel bearing. I just have that shakiness that someone described as a front diff seizing! I have to make this trip in 3 weeks, can someone help me with my, probably stupid, questions! Thanks in advance BTW!

Yes, in most instances the only way to drain a differential is to remove the cover. If you're already in a situation of having bearing problems, fresh gear oil won't help though.

buy a suction pump from an auto parts store, and suck as much old fluid as you can out of the front diff... the fill plug is on the back i think

Then clear the lines of the pump and replace with new fluid...its what I did

buy a suction pump from an auto parts store, and suck as much old fluid as you can out of the front diff... the fill plug is on the back i think

That leaves the eventual water in the diff (water stays on bottom).

Back