98 SOHC Cold Start Idle problem | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 SOHC Cold Start Idle problem

I would go ahead and fix it. You will thank yourself this winter when it starts and idle's perfect. The cam tensioner if left unfixed could lead to breaking the plastic chain guides and causing major damage. I don't think it is likely to break but it could definitely happen. I would do the 00M12 fix if you are experiencing the problems. However I don't think it is an emergency in your case and you may want to save some money up for the job if you are over 70K. If under 70K I would get it to a dealer quick and get it fixed.

Good Luck,
mikeh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do it. The sooner you get in the better. There is NO reason to let it go when you have up to 72k miles to have it fixed for free.
I wouldn't let it go for long.... tensioners are important and a lean condition could be problematic.

FYI,

i took my X into my local dealer last week with 71,200 miles on her and the FORD guys took care of me. I had the "recall" work order done (M0012). It took them 2 full days, but she purrs like a kitten now. if it weren't for this site, i would have never known that i could get this problem fixed for free. thanks to all!

00M12 KIT

I went in to my local dealership and they said that code means nothing to them over here in the UK??
Any ideas???

I had the cold start idle problem, the dealer is getting it fixed as we speak ($210.00 + tx), it was the upper & lower intake gaskets. Also they are going to fix the cam tensioner problem, the sticking gas pedal at no cost to me.

Virgil

I got a good laugh today... All the grief I went through getting the O rings replaced and fighting with my Ford dealer was for nothing!

Dropped ******** this morning to have the seat bolt recall done (for those of you who don't know, apparently the two bolts in the driverside 98 and up X's can break, especially in an accident, causing the seat to snap) and they called me and asked if I wanted the Chain tensioner recall done too.

This is the same dealer who, a year ago, gave me crap about this recall and flat out refused to replace the O rings because I was 3K miles over the limit, mind you. I know the chain tensioner gets replaced with the same crappy part and Jack's was going south again, so I played dumb blonde and said "Oh sure, go ahead and fix whatever you need to!"

:D

Somehow I managed to get not only a new tensioner, but new upper and lower intake O rings, front cylinder cover gasket (I'm typing this verbatim from the service sheet, no idea what some of this is), Shift sprocket-front, and a few other seals who's names I can't decipher, lol.

All that arguing and then they go and fix all for free. They said it was covered up to 100K miles...either they don't know better or Ford changed the recall mileage from 75,000.

Jack absolutely purrs now, even though they politely added a quart of regular oil....I run synthetic :rolleyes:

If you're having serious cold start problems, go to your dealer and give 'em a shot, it's worth it!

Re: 00M12 KIT

Originally posted by Nickos
I went in to my local dealership and they said that code means nothing to them over here in the UK??
Any ideas???

Nickos

i am pursuing the same at the moment. Sent a mail to Ford UK cusotmer services last week but have had no reply. Alos been tring to get the part number for the kit required for this but had no luck on that one either.

If you get any feedback, let me know

Cheer

i am planning on taking my truck in after xmass for the recall just hope they are able to get it done and back to me in a decent amount of time, I know how the dealers around me like to there sweet time with any repair

Just joined the forum a few minutes ago and thought I'd share my experience:

I took my '00 SOHC (60K miles) to the dealer this morning for the seat bolt recall and I mentioned that it had started idling rough when cold (I'm in Tucson so real coldness doesn't happen often). They wanted $150 for diagnosis and later reported that I needed the lower intake gaskets replaced for another $480. I told them to hold off for the moment so I could think about it -- I wanted to research the possibility that it might be a simpler problem, such as the IAC valve.

Anyway, I searched Google and it brought me here where I learned about the 00M12 service campaign on camshaft chain tensioner and intake gaskets. I called the dealer back and asked about 00M12, using details from the postings here. They wanted to research it and then called me back and said my engine had already come with the upgraded camshaft chain tensioner, but they would be willing to do the intake gaskets under the program. That includes the $150 diagnosis.

Had I not found this forum, I'd be out at least $630. Thanks!

I just talked to a ford tech on the phone, and he told me that I'd have to pay for any repairs myself, since I have 77K on the truck, and that the TSB's only cover trucks under 3 years or 36K miles.

Is it true that the Cam shaft fix is covered up to 100K, and if so, how do I prove that to the ford tech.

Thanks,
Terry
http://dsdhosting.com

The camshaft tensioners and leaking intake manifold o-ring were covered under program ONP-00M12. It applies to all '97-'00 SOHC 4-door Explorers and all '97-'01 SOHC Sport/Sporttracs. It is good for 6 years, 72K miles.

The camshaft chain guides were covered under program ONP-01M01 and covered all '97 & '98 SOHC Explorers. The chain guides were changed in '99 from plastic to metal so the program doesn't apply to the '99s and up. It is good for 7 years, 100K miles.

WOW, this is one of the longer lasting threads out there.

Anyways, i know what the leaky O-rings lead to, but what about does the loose cam chain tensioner do; what are the symptoms. I get a slight ratteling on start up, and even though my truck is in perfect condition, i still have a little of a rought idle (part of that was mad air filter seal on my homemade cone fitler adapter). which i'm hopping the new O-rings will cure, but what about the chain tensioner - what does that do?

I always have a rough idle in the cold and here in PA we have a lot of cold. I could never figure it out and my uncle who is a ford master mechanic said its a common complaint, however he still doesnt know what it is haha i guess its one of those ford mysteries.

I also have the cold start/idle problem and yesterday had the OOM12 recall items taken care of. This morning was fairly cold, and the idle problem hasn't seemed to completely disappear, although it seems like it may have gotten a little better.

It just doesn't want to get to that high idle that it used to get to when cold. Instead of idling around 2000 RPM's when dead cold, it was almost dying when it was really cold outside. After the recall repairs yesterday, this morning it was idling around 1200 RPM's. So it's a little better, but there is definitely something still amiss.

Hi guys,

I just had the dealer diagnose my '99 V6 SOHC X, and they came up with: replace IAC, Cam Tensioner Kit, and reprogram PCM. Now my questions are:

1. I also have a missfire situation, would that be caused by the leaking manifold? (Or could it be the plugs/wires? I replaced all the plugs appr. a year ago, not the wires though)

2. I'm by no means a mechanic but I have a knack for fixing stuff (and I love to), would you recommend trying it myself or spend the $250 to get it done by the dealer, or even go to an independant mech with the Kit?

3. Could I possibly solve the problem by just tightening the bolts (if they are loose maybe?)

4. I bought the truck at an auction (bad idea in my case) and the problem has been around ever since I got it, the dealer said someone has tampered with the truck (dunno what exactly, but for one it's not an original IAC in there), do they recommend the PCM flashing for that reason? Cause they think someone has been tampering with it? I don't wanne spend cash on that if they just wanne make sure it's "their" program on there. Also, I heard after a flashing, it usually feels like it lost power...

Thanks for any suggestions on this,

steff

My 2001 Sport Trac seems to be experiencing the classic timing chain rattle problem, but not the idle issues. Can the tensioner be replaced without doing the manifolds? What is everyones opinion regarding this? Ford says no extended warranty on my specific car, so i assume they made a mid year fix, but in my case it didn't work that good. So, can I just do the tensioner without doing the o-rings?

same symptoms rough idle

I am having the same problems with my 99 SOHC so I just got back from Ford with my OOM12 kit. ..45 bucks. . my other concern is I definatly have the rough idle at start up and the clatter for a few sec but I have noticed that setting at idle at stop lights even after warm up that my engine does not idle just right it kinda misses around and my CEL came a couple diff times and the codes all come back to Lean Bank1 & Bank 2. . . .I clear the codes and in a few days it comes back on. . Autozone recommended O2 sensors. .but seems to me if it was O2's the CEL light would come right back on in a few min /hrs instead of a 3-4 days??? any help would be appreciated. . im gonna replace the orings and tensioner anyhow but just was hoping it would take care of my rough idle after warm up and my lean banks 1 &2.

You may want to clean the IAC while you're doing the other work. O-rings plus clean IAC should smooth out your idle.

bigtime57 said:
I am having the same problems with my 99 SOHC so I just got back from Ford with my OOM12 kit. ..45 bucks. . my other concern is I definatly have the rough idle at start up and the clatter for a few sec but I have noticed that setting at idle at stop lights even after warm up that my engine does not idle just right it kinda misses around and my CEL came a couple diff times and the codes all come back to Lean Bank1 & Bank 2. . . .I clear the codes and in a few days it comes back on. . Autozone recommended O2 sensors. .but seems to me if it was O2's the CEL light would come right back on in a few min /hrs instead of a 3-4 days??? any help would be appreciated. . im gonna replace the orings and tensioner anyhow but just was hoping it would take care of my rough idle after warm up and my lean banks 1 &2.

I had the IDENTICAL symptoms in my girlfriends 98. Had the OOM12 done and her truck runs like a top. Was throwing the same codes and now does not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wanna say a big thank you to mikeh for the write up. . was a huge help. . . ahhhh my baby is running smooth again and very prompt starts and great idle. . .my only problem with the write up was probably my own ignorance but when i put the "pencil" looking peice in the oil galley it felt like it would fall all the way in the engine so i held it with a set of pliers . . just wondering will it fall all the way or will it stop. . hope not to be in there again just curious. . .but the write up was very helpful and saved me alot of time. . .first time changing this out and did it in 3 hr 20 min. . . no way could i have did it without your help mikeh. . . .gotta love this site. . .

Back