Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Nav, 99 Mounty, 98 Ex
So, Today I tried starting my 98 Explorer SOHC for the first time in three years after replacing the frame and having the Transmission converted to 4wd.

So the Motor is in place and is getting spark, the fuel pump is working and has pressure to the fuel rail. I do not think it is getting fuel from the injectors to the cylinders.

Is there any thing that can cause the injectors not to fire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it be a pats issue? I wonder if the 2 modules being without power for so long could have corrupted the NVM values causing a pats problem? Does the theft light flash weird while you try to start it?

Well I think Russel and I norrowed it down to Pats last night.

I swapped the steering column in the truck. Not thinking of swapping the transciver from the steering column. When we scanned it, it did say theft detected.

fresh fuel?

Are you trying to run on 3 year old fuel or fresh fuel? Spray starting fluid in the intake manifold. If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds then you know the problem is fuel related. If the fuel is yellow and smells like lacquer it is not combustible. On my 2000 Sport PATS does not disable the spark or crank but disables the fuel injectors.

Kris, did you try checking the PATS transceiver? Oh wait you mentioned that....:p:

Hey, quit watching Jurassic Park and lets get Red Bull started!!:D

No the fuel is not three years old the tank was near dry and I put about 3-4 gallons of fresh gas in yesterday. It did start briefly with starter Fluid. All that can be left is the PATs has the truck Disabled.

Are you trying to run on 3 year old fuel or fresh fuel? Spray starting fluid in the intake manifold. If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds then you know the problem is fuel related. If the fuel is yellow and smells like lacquer it is not combustible. On my 2000 Sport PATS does not disable the spark or crank but disables the fuel injectors.

No the fuel is not three years old the tank was near dry and I put about 3-4 gallons of fresh gas in yesterday. It did start briefly with starter Fluid. All that can be left is the PATs has the truck Disabled.

This was posted by Kris, not me by accident. I guess i forgot to log out of my account on his laptop, lol. Silly me. Still wont start though...dang pats. It keeps throwing a p1260 'theft detected, vehicle immobilized' code, even after the system has been disabled with the key code.

PATS transceiver module

I don't know but suspect that the PATS transceiver module only transmits the code in the microchip on the ignition key to the PATS module. Do you have a second PATS ignition key to try. According to my 2000 wiring diagrams there is a 4 pin connector to the PATS transceiver module. The wire colors are: BK/YE, DG/WH, GY/OG, WH/LG). Make sure that the transceiver module is hooked up.

when we tried starting the truck the first time it had the wrong transceiver in the steering column, so we put in the original transceiver and still will not clear.

Power to module?

On my Sport the PATS module receives power from Fuse 25 in the Central Junction Box that also powers the GEM and instrument cluster. Do you have power to the GEM and instrument cluster?

What about a second ignition key?

Yes power to the GEM and all instrument cluster.

Both Keys are not working I have both but neither are original to the truck, I bought the truck with out keys three years ago. The dealer programed the keys at that time.

Don't need original keys

When a locksmith adds a new key they use a machine that causes the PCM to recognize the new key. The new key just has to be cut to match the lock in the ignition so it can be turned to Run. Then it takes about 20 minutes for the PCM to learn the new key code in the microchip on the key. PATS communicates with the PCM via the OBDII bus. Since you can read a DTC on the bus (p1260) I assume it is functional for the PCM. Have you verified that the PATS module is properly connected. On my Sport the module is located (according to the wiring diagrams) between the rear of the glove box and the firewall. I remember a post last year or before that includes a photo of the module and a description of its location. I believe it is difficult to access.

Do you have a remote start capability? I've read numerous posts regarding PATS issues with them.

I will Double check the air bag sensors but I am sure they are.

When the Keys I have were programed they were programed with a Ford NGS

I'm thinking it just lost the codes...

Well I am going to take it to the dealer on the 3rd to have it programed. They said they would do it for $89.00

Back