• Register Today It's free!

Hard start issue

bdf

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 LTD AWD, 99 EB 2WD
Ok so my 99 4 door with V8 is having a hard time starting especially when cold. It turns over way too many times, but seems better if I turn the ignition off and on a time or 2.

Just did the spark plugs, have not done the wires yet, not sure which ones to get.
Fixed a leak in the tube going into the DPFE sensor from the EGR. That fixed the ticking noise.

I replaced the fuel filter as well. Also ran fuel injector cleaner, no dice.

It seems to be getting worse.

Could it just be plug wires, or maybe fuel pump? Pump relay?

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it gets better with turning the key on (aka priming the system) that'll lean towards a fuel pump issue

-Drew

Son of a....I dont wanna do that, whats the dealer charge?

Check your fuel pressure at the rail it will give you some sound information especially if the fuel regulator is acting up.

ok thanks, where do I find the pump relay, and where do I check the fuel pressure what do I check it with and what should it be?

thanks guys!

Sorry I can’t find the URL with the pictures so you will have to do a search for a thread on fuel rail testing. The test port on the 5.0 is on the top front of the engine with a fitting that looks a lot like a bicycle tire valve with a cap on it the gauge is about $30 at AutoZone
Power distribution box is in this link
The FP relay is in the power distribution box under the hood. This link should tell you which one it is... http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke...23d800ba8f3.jsp

Most auto stores carry them for about $7.

Back