99 5.0, loss of all power on highway, no codes. Sanity Check on path to take | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0, loss of all power on highway, no codes. Sanity Check on path to take

i can find delphi locally so ill go with that. Im still going to run the tank out to make my life easier (and to see if I can get it to happen again and look at all the data i can). Ill be doing plugs, wires and fuel filter tomorrow or saturday, hopefully the fuel filter will give me an idea of what the inside of the tank is like. Rust is normal for an almost 24 year old car nothing major at all. Tank does not look rusted the few times I have been under it.
All very good and excited to hear back.
I virtually lived under mine for a while doing rust renovations.. The tanks rust from the top down, you won't always see it. I dunno if yours is a salt bet truck or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

small update, nothing fixed yet, but fuel pressure at idle is 68psi. I know thats not under load but best I can do with what I have.

Test again when the engine / fuel pump is hot

I will do that today will be replacing plugs and fuel filter shortly. I have 3/8's of a tank so im going to get it down below a 1/4 and ill test it running temps. It doesnt help that temps have cooled off here, 90's appear to be gone for the summer, low mid 80's now. I was hoping to get another 100 degree drive in to really test it, but I dont see that happening (not that I want it to)

Probably not the cause of the event, but the egr sensor had a broken inlet tube. I winner why that was not tripping codes. Will replace. Also plug wire 4 took longer than all other plugs and wires lol. The factory wire looms are like midieval chasity belts

Current updates I think I broke off the egr sensor hose thing while wrangling with the plug wire. But something tells me it was already cracked before hand because it didnt pull this wire with any force that should have broken it.. Now that is is cleanly broken off I have a p1633 the new plugs and wires have upped the snappyness but I have not driven it yet i need to replace that part first. So maybe this could have been related to the event I’m guessing if that egr sensor split a bit more due to heat it could have jacked up timing. so perhaps the suggestion of the crank position sensor might not have been too far off.

Will update when I replace this part and test fuel pressure at operating temperator.

Ok done for the weekend, plugs wires fuel filter, and the broken egr pressure sensor replaced. It runs a bit better than it did.

I drove it for 30 minutes and checked the fuel pressure a few times it’s always in spec 64psi was the lowest I saw but mostly 66psi.

Fuel pressure leaves me with one possible issue that I see. I’m losing pressure with key off. That’s not expected is it?

How quickly?

Pressure is going to bleed down. I don’t know if there is a spec for that, but some guys here may know what is “normal”

Sometimes it’s leaky injectors

That said, it generally isn’t a problem that affects the truck when it’s running…it is a possible culprit for difficult starting

How quickly?

Pressure is going to bleed down. I don’t know if there is a spec for that, but some guys here may know what is “normal”

Sometimes it’s leaky injectors

That said, it generally isn’t a problem that affects the truck when it’s running…it is a possible culprit for difficult starting
I’ll follow up on that tomorrow or Monday. It might be the gauge causing the leak. It’s not quick but does drop from 60’s to 40s but the schrader valve on the test port failed while I was testing all this and it possible I didn’t get a non leaking connection.

Pressure will bleed off and rather quickly too it is no biggie.
I hate the factory plug wire routing, I don’t route my wires that way
Your fuel psi checks out can likely rule that out as the cause of power loss.

Update the pressure is only bleeding with key off, engine off key on its holding so probably all good there.

Scanner is in so I’ll check what I can now with live data. Right off the bat it looks like I’m a little lean on bank1 so maybe a gasket leak we will see.

Im still kicking away at this, live data is showing me that the bank 2 sensor 2 o2 sensor has failed. That one is after the cat right? Going to test it this weekend and replace it if needed. Still no check engine light with it, but it showing 0v and long term fuel trim on that bank is 0%

I should add the stupid thing is running buttery smooth, so when I emptied the tank of gas I decided to keep going before replacing the crank sensor or fuel pump.

Back