99 5.0L Map, Glove, Puddle, Dome lights - Fuse Good | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 5.0L Map, Glove, Puddle, Dome lights - Fuse Good

8TZX

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT AWD
I was replacing one of the map lights. While attempting to adjust the copper foil leads for positive bulb holder contact I created a short and a small arc occurred. I thought I blew a fuse. I checked the #27 fuse (15 amp) which by the manual is the fuse for all interior lights and it was good. I replaced it with another known good fuse and still no interior, map, glove box, dome or puddle lights. I reviewed the wiring diagrams and did not see any other feeds for the circuit. Any suggestions what could have happened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure fuse #28 (left side of dash) isn't blown?

Fuse 27 is what your owner's manual indicates? I'm seeing fuse 26 for those, listed as battery saver relay but that's the first relay they all run through.

Considering that if fuses don't blow in this scenario they aren't worth ****, I'd assume it's a fuse, but the other things before the lights on that circuit that would keep them from working are the battery saver relay, interior lamp relay, or dimmer module.

J.C. You were correct. It was Fuse 26 (10a) that was blown. I did not have the owner's manual but I had both Chilton and Hayes manuals. Both of their fuse identification charts listed # 27 for all interior lights. The Hayes manual did have a "typical" interior lighting circuit diagram which did show Fuse # 27 was supplied through the battery saver relay which was fed from a 30 A fuse in the Power Distribution panel. Neither manuals indicated a 30A fuse for that purpose in their fuse location guide. After I read your response I downloaded the owner's manual from the Ford site. Thanks again.
99' 5.0L XLT - Original Owner
249K miles

OP,

Tip: One thing I've learned over the years... When you've done something that may have blown a fuse and you check the fuse that someone, or even the owner's manual, says it should be and find it to be good, check all your fuses. As soon as I read your post I was sure you'd blown a fuse. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered this phenomenon on multiple vehicles.

Back