99 ex tow issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 ex tow issues

99 ..150k
4 L SOHC
5 speed 3.73 trans

rated to 5100#

what does this mean? can i, should i tow up to 5100 lbs (including weight of passenger/load in truck) or is that really wise in terms of road and truck performance?

what is more optimal tow capacity?

i am interested in going on extended camping trip ,20 k miles with pop up or utlra lite trailer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GCVWR listed capacity on the jamb/in the manual is the vehicle, trailer, and passengers/gear.

99 ..150k
4 L SOHC
5 speed 3.73 trans

rated to 5100#

what does this mean? can i, should i tow up to 5100 lbs (including weight of passenger/load in truck) or is that really wise in terms of road and truck performance?

what is more optimal tow capacity?

i am interested in going on extended camping trip ,20 k miles with pop up or utlra lite trailer.
It sounds like you already understand that the MAX tow rating is for the loaded camper, plus passengers and cargo in the Ex. Many people don't understand that, but you do. Check.

You are good to go for 5100 lbs in relatively flat areas. Check you manual to see if they say anything about needing a WDH kit. If you tow this much, you will definitely need trailer brakes, since the Ex brakes are only designed for the truck's GVWR (around 6400 lbs?), not the GCVWR (about 10,000 lbs?).

If you intend to got thru some mountains, you may want to dial it back a bit. How much is subjective.

its not so much that i want a large trailer, its just that i intend to tow for alot of miles and definately would be doing mountains......

if i have a trailer in 2000# range, and given loads for cargo adding another 1000#, would that make a big difference in mileage and wear and tear over maxed out rig

Thinking in terms of GCVWR (combined weight rating), which is around 10,000 for the V6 with tow package, is probably a good way to think for durability.

4800 (empty truck?) + 2000 (loaded trailer?) + 1000 (people/stuff in truck) = 7800 lbs

78% capacity seems like a nice cushion.

great ..thanks

how much does mpg drop? i can squeeze 20.5 mpg on a good day

No idea. But the drop with a V6 will be more than the drop with a V8. Less torque (V6) means you will notice it more (but you get better mileage when not towing, of course).

I did some with my 98 and got about 16. Lock out OD and keep an eye on the trans temp.

I did some long-distance towing recently, and got 12 mpg in rolling hills/mountains vice 15 mpg flat highway. What really kills the mpg is speed. My problem is I can't help but mentally calculate how much time I'll save going 75 vice 65. (We could be set up and cooking before dark!) The effect of wind resistence makes a big difference from 65 to 75; and its safer to be going slower anyway. In flat areas you can get away with using the OD, but in the hills you will need to keep turning it off. I put a transmission temp gauge in before my trip; i could see the temp shoot up from (130F to 180F) while going up a long slope in OD.

Back