Towing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

Ok ive been searching the boards for the past 20 mins or so reading up on this.

I have a 1993 EB Explorer, 3.73 posi, Tranny Cooler, Wiring for Trailer im assuming it has the "towing package". Also it has the rear bumper attachment with the hole in the middle.

I would like to know if i can safely tow my other car which will be approxmently 2700lbs on a trailer safely for about 2-4 miles?

I read this from another thread but i dont know if i should just trust 1 person's word:

" rear bumper capacity is 3500 lbs, with a 500 lbs tongue weight"

So can i safety tow my car 2-4 miles weight being a little under 3000lbs with the trailer included.

Truck is in good shape so mechanically its up to the challenge i wouldnt be using OD, low gear up hills ect ect. but will the bumper hang on for the ride? Would you guys chance it or just fork out the $100-150 for a good hitch?

Also what size hitch ball will fit in my bumper?

Thanks
-Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2-4 miles? You sure that's it? You will be fine if it's only that far & you keep is under 55.
The bumper should have some writing on it that gives you the towing specs. The owners manual also has it.
You do not have a tow package. A tow package would have came with a hitch.
If your going to do it often you should get the hitch.
Also since the bumper does not have any place to tie safety chains to, you should get some extension & find a place secure on the frame to attach the safety chains.

you'll be fine. I towed a GMC 1500 home about 6-7 miles (no trailer, just a rope) with a bum tranny off my bumper and didn't have any problems. if you have a trailer, then it will be nothing. even though the bumper capacity is 3500lbs., you can probably exceed that at least 500-700 lbs. safely. i know i did.

I have a 93 and the bumber has stamped right on it 3500lbs tow. I also upunder the bumber have places for the safty chains. I know my EX has the tow pakage but it as far as I know had the fram hitch at all tell I added on . I know I have towed over 7,000 lbs with mine and I do not belive i would again just dose not realy have the power for it
mine is a 7.73 grearing also and my last trip of 1,500 miles it got about 1.5 a mile and that was empty going and loaded to the gills comeing back about 750 each way so for what you want 3 to 4 mile you should be okay

Jason, I think they changed the tow package after 93, because I have the tow package on mine and it is just a hole in the bumper (either that or the dealer ripped us off when we bought it new). Towed a stuffed 6x12 Uh**l trailer from MA to TX with no problems.
I think the tow package mostly meant extra cooling and a wiring adapter in 93. I remember noticing that newer models had an under bumper receiver hitch.
I looked at mine but couldn't tell what size the bolt into the ball was, I have a 2" ball, but that's dependent on your trailer. Based on my thumb size, I'd guess 3/4" or 7/8" for the bolt.

No Explorer I know of came with a factory hitch. The towing package was gears and a light connector :rolleyes: All Explorers had a hole in the bumper from the factory.

IMO, you can pull anything for 3-6 miles, as long as you go slow and allow extra room for braking.

I'm going to relocate this to the towing section.

:)

No Explorer I know of came with a factory hitch. The towing package was gears and a light connector :rolleyes: All Explorers had a hole in the bumper from the factory.

IMO, you can pull anything for 3-6 miles, as long as you go slow and allow extra room for braking.

I'm going to relocate this to the towing section.

:)

^^^^^ yup tow package means you get a hole in the bumper, and a wiring harness and tranny cooler....

the only explorers to come with a factory hitch ever installed were the 2002+

Back