99 Explorer Auto Shift lever problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Auto Shift lever problems

ju1cy

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4x4
Last Friday on the way home from work I noticed my shift lever was extremely hard to use but I didn't have any issues other than that. Yesterday I go to leave for work and now it wont start. I knew it wasn't a battery issue but I left in my wifes car as I suspected the shift lever to be the culprit. When I got home I jammed the shift lever toward park and was able to get it to start and run. I hopped on here and read the threads regarding the loose bolt on the bracket. I checked the bolts earlier and they are both solid where they should be. My issue sounds a slightly bit different. When this problem started the gear level was extremely hard to maneuver from position to position. When in (p) it is in Reverse. I've taken the bottom of the steering wheel off and the metal plate behind it. When I move the lever I can see the tiny thread cable pull the lever. I can see the bracket rotate and connect parts also seem to move. I was wiggling the shifter gently with the keys engaged and the break pressed while doing my visual check and after around a minute of gentle moving something popped. Everything that I can see at this point looks fine but the gear shifter has changed it's behavior now. Now Park to Reverse and visa versa is still extremely hard. Every other position is reached with 0 to little resistance and the reverse indicator lights seem to be stuck on in all positions. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found the problem, or at least part of it. The shift lever cable is broken under the car about 5 inches from the eyelet that connects to the transmission. I'm guessing something was jammed up and my fiddling with the shifter broke the cable (that would be the point where I felt something let go). So the cable has broke very close to the end of the cable, and there are some adapting pieces that look to be capable of disconnecting and replacing small sections of the cable. If possible I'd like to just replace the end if that is doable. Can anyone confirm if that cable can be replaced at the end? Will have pictures later today when I get home.

This is a picture of a stock photo that is exactly what I have. The end eyelet broke off somewhere in that shaft (it pulled out and the braided steel is broke). Can it be disconnected somewhere in those connectors prior to the braided cabling on the right?
F77Z-7E395-LB-b.jpg

No, it is a 1 piece cable. If the cable itself broke you'll need the whole thing. It's not that big of a job to replace, the hardest part is attaching it under the dash.

No, it is a 1 piece cable. If the cable itself broke you'll need the whole thing. It's not that big of a job to replace, the hardest part is attaching it under the dash.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info. Having a hard time finding the cable locally (2/2 scrap yards where 0 help).

Hope you find it. karl(kbabiak) is pretty good with parts, he's always come through for me. Ships quick too. If he can't help you try ped5stang, he's a vendor here as well. You could also try posting in the classified under "parts wanted", you might get some hits there also.

Hope you find it. karl(kbabiak) is pretty good with parts, he's always come through for me. Ships quick too. If he can't help you try ped5stang, he's a vendor here as well. You could also try posting in the classified under "parts wanted", you might get some hits there also.

Dealer has is for nearly double what it is on eBay. Now I have to decide between spending the extra $60 or waiting. I actually wrote on Kbabiak's parts post per the recommendation I received via PM. Thanks for the help.

Got the part from the Dealer @ around 450% of Kbabiak (had to get my Explorer going so I could stop stranding my wife at home). Installation was fairly simple and it is running again. Thanks for all the help.

Back