99 Explorer illuminated light headlight switch problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer illuminated light headlight switch problem

kenora

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0 4X4
Hi, 1st time here and I'm finding lots of great posts to help me with some issues with my new (to me) 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0 SOHC automatic. I couldn't locate anything relating to this issue though...
The little lights that illuminate the headlight selection switch (left side of the dash, (off, park, on)) fail to illuminate when I turn on the lights, I've adjusted the dash light dimmer to max but still nothing..these are the only dash lights that fail to work. Is this common? Is it easy to fix? and lastly do I need to replace the light selector switch (sounds expensive)?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lots of posts, fixable by either replacing the bulb (relatively cheap if you can "work" electric stuff... cause its not a "drop in replacement" OR by replacing the whole switch which is what ford will try tell you to do. The burnt bulb is common as it is on ALL THE TIME, regardless of where the switch setting is. Anyways, its a "mini bulb" that can be had at radio shack... not quite the same but close... but with out the "boot"... you'll understand when you see the switch / bulb. Again lots of posts.

thanks for the reply... can you point me to one of the posts that tells me how to fix it please? I searched "light switch" and got lots of hits but nothing that looked to address this... I'm new to this so I claim Newbee syndrome :D

well perhaps you can be a little more "inventive" in search... words like "bulb" come to mind in combination with "switch" maybe and I think you should find what you are looking for.

edit: after kenora edit.... I knew you could do it... :)

note: the "drop in replacement" as specified by ford is more expensive than $2 radio shack bulb than needs a bit of "work". And since they seem to burn a lot, you may want to consider the "extra work" as opposed to the extra "wallet effort".

Wow - I didn't even know that switch was supposed to light up :confused:

lots of posts, fixable by either replacing the bulb (relatively cheap if you can "work" electric stuff... cause its not a "drop in replacement" OR by replacing the whole switch which is what ford will try tell you to do. The burnt bulb is common as it is on ALL THE TIME, regardless of where the switch setting is. Anyways, its a "mini bulb" that can be had at radio shack... not quite the same but close... but with out the "boot"... you'll understand when you see the switch / bulb. Again lots of posts.

There is a "drop-in" replacement from Ford - the part number is in the other thread. I had to got through three different dealerships before I found one who would actually look it up instead of trying to sell me a new switch :rolleyes:

E-mail Torrie at www.fastpartsnetwork.com. He's ordered them for me before. In fact, I've got an old one sitting here in my shirt pocket (don't ask!!) Give this number a try: F57Z-13B765-AC I'm not sure if that was the bulb for the headlight or for the fog/rear defrost switches offhand...

-Joe

How difficult is it to get to the headlight switch and replace the bulb?

How difficult is it to get to the headlight switch and replace the bulb?

If you ask some, you have to dismantle the entire dash. If you have skinny hands like me, you can open the door, remove the fuse box cover, remove the three screws that hold the fusebox in place, unplug the headlamp switch, and reach up inside there blindly and replace the bulb. I did it... it wasn't easy, but I did it.

-Joe

How much is the bulb and how much is the switch?

My local dealer wanted ~$11 for the light and ~$60 for the switch. You can get an aftermarket switch from your local parts shop (napa, checker etc.) for around $30.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the local Canadian stealer wanted $35 (plus sundry small change and taxes) for the farking bulb.
I tried searching the fast parts site but couldn't find the bulb (me stupid!)...there has to be a cheaper way...
btw...I pulled out the burnt out bulb and because I'm a gross motor skills kind of guy as opposed to a fine motor skills kind pf guy I chose not to fark it too bad up by trying to McGyver a LED or replacement bulb...it looked like a tragedy waiting to happen and I didn't want to participate in that kind of mess (like I usually do)...
can someone in the know post a source for the proper bulb please.

bump...

can someone in the know post an online source for the proper bulb please? :D

Thanks a million :)....even with shipping its cheaper than buying from the local stealership!:rolleyes:

edit; I just sent them an e-mail to confirm the part #... will let everyone know if thats the case.

OUCH!.... I spoke too soon.

I sent the following e-mail to the a/m dealer in Texas...
--------
Hi I would like to order the light that illuminates the headlight switch on my 1999 Ford Explorer, its about an inch long, about 1/4 wide and has a single bulb (with a green plastic cap on it) at the end and fits into a socket at the back of the headlight switch. I'm told (but not 100% sure) that the part number is... F87Z13B765DA.
Can you confirm that please and if its the right part let me know what it will cost to ship (USPS) to Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada (postal code R3R1Z9). I will pay with M/C, VISA or PayPal, whatever you prefer.

Thanks
Tim -------
--------
Today after work I saw there was a reply so I checked my account (you have to create one) and saw there was nothing but a ADD TO YOUR CART interactive button. So I pushed it and it shows 2 socket and bulb assemblies, no indication whether they are the right ones or part numbers. I wanted ONE and wanted to know what the shipping was so I called the 1-866 #.....

Well.........the kid I talked to could neither confirm the part was correct or check with someone else, simply saying..."I didn't do that order"... when I asked about shipping I was told about $40 to ship USPS. I asked how that could be considering we were shipping a tiny bulb the size of a .22 shell about 600 miles not to Uzbekistan, and again met a snotty "Thats what it costs to ship to Canada". When I told him I could ship and insure the same thing to him for about $5 he was unswayed, so I fell back on the companies $8.95 minimum shipping charge (could there be anything more minimum then this bulb?) and met the same $40 bucks minimum!....

soooooooooooo I gave up!

I was hoping that this dealer would be different than the creeps here in Canada but I'm WRONG..... thought you all should know.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with these folks. I've had very good luck with their parts people being able to look up and find parts. I can't comment on shipping to Canada - but shipping within the US seems fairly reasonable.

At least the US Dollar is still dropping - maybe it'll be cheaper in a few weeks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well... I guess that's why they cost so much in Canada heh! they have to be shipped from the states... :) Wait til your next "shopping trip" with those "high flying loonies" and get one then..... it isn't that big an issue right???? most people don't even know it is suppose to be lit.

You thought I was kidding in the first post.... :) when I said there wasn't a "drop in replacement".... I probably should have added "aFORDable"... :)

Back