99 ranger, No reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 ranger, No reverse

Reaction score
City, State
Hinesburg, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ranger 4.0
I got a 99 4.0 (Auto) ranger with no reverse. All other gears are ok. Fluid is fine and a nice bright red. Doesnt smell burnt at all. Buddies say its a band, but doesnt reverse and low use the same band? Thanks for any help you guys can give me-
Broke teenager :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have manual 1st? It uses the same band as reverse.

Possible reasons:
1) Improper fluid level.
2) Transmission shift cable broken or misadjusted.
3) Improper band/clutch application pressure.
4) Fluid filter damaged or plugged.
5) Main control assembly gaskets damaged or bolt out of torque.
6) Main control separator plate damaged.
7) Pump assembly bolts out of specifications.
8) Reverse clutch burnt, worn, or leaking.
9) Direct/reverse servo piston seal cut/leaking.

Yeah I have a manual 1rst. No clunks thuds or slipping at all. Fluid is right in the middle of the criss-crossed area when warm at an idle.

Going to pull the pan and see if i cant find anything funky.

got nothing funky...I'm lost. The clutches wouldnt go all at once would they? its somthing causing me loss or reverse and reverse only :(

Did forget to mention I've had a CEL on for a few weeks now

pulled the tranny pan, clean as a whistle. Did have a little dink piece of metal on the magnant though. About 1/4" in diameter and about 1/8" thick. Any ideas what it could be

Welcome to this forum! Could you post a picture of the metal fragment that you found? Did you have your computer scanned to see what code the check engine light is showing? Did you check the DTR sensor?

whats a DTS sensor? Getting the codes scanned tomorrow. Could this be the reverse solenoid? or VB o-ring

New info:
When the driveshaft is off it goes into reverse fine. Just when it needs more oomph it doesnt go. No shavings, the pan is clean. :fire:

P.S. Peice of metal was a piece that broke off the dip stick.
Somone said it could be a broken shift fork in the t-case. But it sorks fine in park. Could this still be it???

The DTR is the sensor on the driver's side of the transmission. If you put your vehicle in reverse, do you see your back up lights turn on? It is possible that the shift fork could have broken inside of the transfer case.

yeah reverse lights come on. Would the t-case not effect park or drive though? Just reverse. Cause it still works fine in park.
There was also a piece torn out of the gasket on top of the seperator plate. So I'm gonna replace that too.

Thanks for the help

94's did not have a DTR. You are describing a T-case problem it sound like to me, and not a tranny problem.

DOH!! ... My apologies. Brain at lunch.

Gonna tear the t-case out today. Its gotta come out anyway if the tranny has to be removed. Then I'll have it narrowed down

I have a 1354 electric shift transfer case from a 1999 Ranger. The Ranger had the 5R55E trans and 4.0L engine. Has about 52k miles on it. I bought it to replace the t-case in my explorer, but realized it was the wrong model for me.

Please PM me if interested. Thanks

well put it back together with the new gasket today. Rev it to about 4K and I get a bit of reverse. Clutches are burning= tranny is history. Whats Involved in swaping the m5od? I really dont want to replace trouble with trouble.

Back