99 Sport sunroof sliding shade re-cover. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Sport sunroof sliding shade re-cover.

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.
Last weekend I removed the headliner in my wife's 99 Sport & today I removed the sunroof glass, the water catch pan, & the sliding sunroof shade so I could recover it. I used a putty knife to remove all the old foam from the cover then sprayed a couple coats of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive that ?I purchased at Lowes. I purchased the replacement headliner material from E Bay. I measured the size of the shade & cut the material a couple inches larger all around the shade. I rolled the material up with the side going to the shade facing out, & started from one side & rolled it out on to the shade working out any lumps. Once I got all 4 sides glued I made finish cuts on the material & cut the hole for the handle that just clips into the shade on my 99, be careful not to break any of the tabs. One of the tabs broke on the handle on reassembly so I used some super glue on the back side to make sure it stays in the shade. I reinstalled the 4 slider clips on the shade that allow the shade to slide in the track, & reinstalled the shade to the sunroof assembly, & reinstalled the water catch pan. I then reinstalled the sunroof glass & left the bolts a little loose & pivoted the back of the sunroof up & pushed up on the back of the glass, tightened all 6 bolts (3 each side), & then operated the sunroof open & closed to verify operation & that the sunroof glass is flush with the roof.
Here are the 3 sunroof glass bolts
100_1691.JPG

Here is the trim that covers the bolts installed
100_1690.JPG

Here is the recovered sunroof sliding shade
100_1693.JPG

Here is the shade installed back in the truck
100_1694.JPG

Now I have to reinstall the headliner & button everything back up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOOKS GOOD....GREAT JOB!

Finished reinstalling the headliner back in & reattached everything that I took apart. The material I used on the sliding sunroof cover is a little lighter shade of gray then the headliner but my wife doesn't care as long as it is not hanging down like the old one. She doesn't use the sunroof anyway. Just be aware I used headliner material to recover the sliding shade & it is very tight to open because of the thickness of the material I used, probably would be easier to open with just the fabric without the foam backing.
100_1695.JPG

Looks awesome... professional

Mike, all I need to do is recover the sunroof sliding shade. What's the easiest way to remove it? Do I need to remove the whole headliner and/or the sunroof glass?

I also just needed to recover the sliding shade & I removed the complete headliner because I was also chasing a water leak, which BTW I did not find. I do not think you would have to completely remove the headliner but IMO you would have to slide it back enough to access the bolts holding the sunroof water catch pan. It was over 1 year ago since I did it, & my memory is not what it used to be but I am fairly sure the glass had to come out.

I also just needed to recover the sliding shade & I removed the complete headliner because I was also chasing a water leak, which BTW I did not find. I do not think you would have to completely remove the headliner but IMO you would have to slide it back enough to access the bolts holding the sunroof water catch pan. It was over 1 year ago since I did it, & my memory is not what it used to be but I am fairly sure the glass had to come out.
Thanks for getting back with me. I removed the fabric from the shade, used a razor to get the corners, and got off all the dried foam and glue with a stiff brush. It actually looks fine with no covering, so I believe that is a wrap for this challenge.

Back