• Register Today It's free!

99 transmission OD light

rtedburke

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I purchased a 99 Ford Explorer about a year ago (4/03) with 104,000 on it. I noticed the transmission had a little difficulty changing arount 30mph. I took it in and had transmission service. Within a 150 miles, the OD light started periodically coming on. It is now 10 months and 7,000 miles later and the above is more frequent. When the OD light comes on it has also has difficulty going up hills from dead stop. Manually changing the transmission into 1 or low and truck takes off fine. Also, when OD light comes on going 60 mph, it shakes a little. If you pulling over and switch the ngine off the OD light goes off and does not come back on and everything seems OK.

Thanks for any help you might have. Problem, Cost of repair, rebuild/replace, recommended transmission shops etc.

Do the rpm's surge and the tranny slip around 30 (2-3 gear shift)? If so from what I have heard not an uncommon issue with this tranny. I have that problem as well. I have had it checked out by a few shops and can't seem to get a solid answer for what is causing it so I have played with it a little and still no fix. The shops did say the costs could be enough to just go with a full rebuild $$$$, which I am not going to do until I NEED it. You could try tightening the valve body bolts and changing the internal tranny filter with new O rings. That seems to fix a few tranny problems.

My OD light comes too periodically, related to the torque converter not locking up. BUt my X drives better when the OD light goes on (it goes into a "limp" mode) except when it clunks into first on the downshift but shifts are firmer.

I'd get the codes read from the light going off and since you know your fluid is fine maybe try the valve body bolt deal and filter change.

Back