• Register Today It's free!

99 X T-case swap???

Styx

Reaction score
City, State
Chilliwack BC Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 eddy 93&13 limited
Ok I have a 99 X great ride but I want to take it off road more and will eventually be going SAS (D30 on coils and EB radius arms)
On the subject of T-casses I have the selectable Auto/4hi/4low case in it and I just picked up a 2wd/4hi/4low case out of a 99 ranger... Is this a straight bolt in and plug it in swap or am I going to have issues???
I want to keep all the plush ABS and electric t-case stuff.. And I want a rig that is some what capable (33 to 35" tires max) It's slated for light duty 4x4ing but I know me and it will see some harder trails too (I'm easy on my junk)
Any one done this t-case swap???
What did you run into???
Cheers Randy:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure you should have just done the Brown-Wire Mod which would have given you true-2wd. Was your stock case wasted?... hopefully... :)

Moving to Transmission & Transfer Case section -- doesnt belong in the Elite Explorer 911!" section.

Why do you want to go from AUTO/4HI/4LO to 2WD/4HI/4LO? I don't really see any benefit unless you need to do rear-end digs to maneuver tight spots (but that wont do much cauz there's no rear steer).

Moving to Transmission & Transfer Case section -- doesnt belong in the Elite Explorer 911!" section.

Why do you want to go from AUTO/4HI/4LO to 2WD/4HI/4LO? I don't really see any benefit unless you need to do rear-end digs to maneuver tight spots (but that wont do much cauz there's no rear steer).

My bad on putting it in 911 Sorry...
As posted in my first post I will be doing a SAS on it and I was thinking down the road when I get rid of the D30 that will be going in and go to a D44 It will have locking hubs...(if that happens???)

And 525 I havent done the swap yet If you read the post I just picked up the other t-case complete for free and I was looking into the possibility of this being an easy swap...
I don't like the viscus coupling of the 4403(?) auto t-case and the inherant problems with them over time ( I just went over the 200K kms on my 99 and I've only owned it a very short time, I don't know the maintance history of the truck and all that stuff)...
I just looked at the brown wire write up and here in the great white north we get our fair share of snow which I like to drive in 2wd in which would also put undue stress on the viscus coupling...

Cheers Randy...:exp:

I don't like the viscus coupling of the 4403(?) auto t-case and the inherant problems with them over time ( I just went over the 200K kms on my 99 and I've only owned it a very short time, I don't know the maintance history of the truck and all that stuff)...
If your transfer case has AUTO/4HI/4LO, you have the 4405 which is not a viscous coupled transfer case -- it actually has clutches to put it in 4wd. Only the 5.0 liter engines received the transfer case with the viscous coupling. Having said that, you won't gain much by putting in that Ranger transfer case unless its a manualy-shifted transfer case.

Ok 4405 thanks...
And I will be keeping the electric shift for now...
And again I stand corrected it is a clutch set up not the viscus (I'll check that at work tomorrow)...
But as stated in my original post I was looking for anyone that has done the swap not for fatherly advice on wether or not to do the swap thanks anyways...
Cheers Randy...:salute:

If you want to retain the electronic function with the switch on the dash, you're SOL. The 13-54 and 44-05 are not compatible units... completely different in every possible way.

-Joe

Not even if I were to use the shift motor off the 4405 and just swap it onto the 1354 (new style) It worked to go from a 99 ranger shift motor to the old t-case (1354) out of my 91 X...

Not a chance. As I mentioned before, they are two completely different electrical control systems that function entirely different from one another. Mechanically they are completely different as well. The 13-54 uses a traditional lockup collar to engage 4wd, whereas the 44-05 uses an electromechanical ball-ramp clutch assembly. In the 13-54, the shift motor moves the lockup collar for 4wd high, and the lockup collar plus the low range gear set for 4low. The 44-05 uses a pule-width modulated signal from the torque on demand relay to vary the duty cycle of the transfer case clutch coil, thereby varying the torque split up to 50/50. The shift motor ONLY moves for the engagement and disengagement of low range. Lockup is handled by the GEM module and TOD relay.

Like I said... completely different, non-compatible control systems that control two mechanically different cases.

So you have tried the swap???

So you have tried the swap???
No he hasnt -- he's just a God when it comes to transfer cases :D. In fact, no one has, because it is too much effort for something that basically behaves the same way - you might as well swap in a manualy shifted one.

Well I got spare time and it isn't costing me anything so I'll try it any ways...
you seem to have only one answer so please delete this post.........................................

Thanks any ways for all the helpfull information....

BTW you still running stock size tires on your X?????
I here that 31's won't fit...

Well I got spare time and it isn't costing me anything so I'll try it any ways...
you seem to have only one answer so please delete this post.........................................
Sorry I was just trying to stop you from wasting your time and money. But good luck and do a write-up cauz you'll doing something ground-breaking.

BTW you still running stock size tires on your X?????
I here that 31's won't fit...
No, 31's dont really fit on my X.. 36's fit better
paragon_14.jpg

If you like small tires This is my last 4xand the other is my first X

Attachments

• Picture 070 (Small).jpg
    Picture 070 (Small).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Picture 518 (Small).jpg
    Picture 518 (Small).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 263

I just dont get it -- that EB looks like you know what you're doing but you still want to swap an electric 1354 over a 4405. But like I said, if you do this, you'll be the first so do a writeup -- itll be cool. I've just never heard many off-road ppl doing something that serves little, if any, purpose. There are plenty of 2nd gens running the stock 4405 that do just fine on trails.

EDIT -- btw gijoecam knows his transfer case systems the best on the forum so I would listen to him when he says that you're "SOL" trying to swap the electric 1354 in place of the 4405.

Actually you just don't get it I was asking if any one has done the swap not for your advice on the if I should do it... I do have the ability to do the swap if it is possible... And to put it back or to do different if not...
I would like to keep the center console and the rest of the interior intact so there will be no floor shifter in this one... If I need to go cable shift then thats what I will do...
Here is a link to the build of that bronco and a pix's of the hurd at the bottom...
http://members.shaw.ca/maynardp/cow2/
I don't doubt that gijoe :salute: is very knowlagable on t-cases I guess if your going to specilize in something they are simple enough...:popcorn:

So I take it no one else out there has tryed? no worries

No, and that's our point: The swap can be done, yes, but it's neither a plug-and-play, not a direct bolt-in swap, and that is the reason nobody on this board has ever tried it.

Physically it will fit just fine. That's not the issue. You had asked specifically, "I want to keep all the plush ABS and electric t-case stuff." and to do so, you cannot make it happen with a 13-54. You Can physically mate the t-case to the trans and driveshafts, that's not the issue. The problem is in the control systems... they're not compatible in any way, shape, or form, and that was my point. If you install a 13-54, you must come up with some alternate method of controlling the shift, be it a manual lever (easiest) or a remote-mounted setup (been done too), it requires some way of shifting the case. The computer's not going to do it for you.

I suppose that with enough time and resources, it *might* be possible to use the OEM system from the 2nd gen to control a completely separate 1st gen system through a unique intermediate controller, but that would take some electrical engineering skills that are WAY beyond my ability to comprehend. Furthermore, the 13-54, being a part-time case, cannot function as an on-demand system like the 44-05, so regardless of what control system you come up with, your control-trac function will not work.

Now, if you do attempt it, feel free to ask any questions you have along the way. We'll all be happy to help out in any way we can. Good luck!

btw gijoecam knows his transfer case systems the best on the forum so I would listen to him when he says that you're "SOL" trying to swap the electric 1354 in place of the 4405.

{blushing} aaaw, shucks... I'm no guru, I've just spent a lot of time pooring over the schematics to see what makes it tick. I've yet to personally wrench on one yet! (and, quite frankly, hope I never have to!!)

Back