a 'bang' or 'pop' when changing direction, turning... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a 'bang' or 'pop' when changing direction, turning...

hednupnorth

Reaction score
City, State
Green Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD
About a week and a half ago, I replaced all my brake pads on my '97 AWD Explorer (5.0). A few days later, I noted a 'pop' or 'bang' in the front end (at least that's where it sounds like it's coming from...driver side, maybe?) after I backed up and intially start moving forward. After that, I don't have the sound. THis has been happening consistantly when I change direction. I noted yesterday and this am that I get that same 'pop' or 'bang' consistantly if I turn sharply ('pop, pop, pop, pop'). As soon as I straigthen out, it goes away. I pulled all the tires off on Wednesday as my first assumption is that one of the calipers might be loose, or a pad was not seated correctly, etc., but really didn't find anything. I'd like to think it has something to do with something I worked on, when replacing the pads, because I didn't have this problem before I replaced the brake pads. I also thought it might be something with my front drive shaft. What about the rotor not sitting correctly on the shaft? I am planning on poking around with it today, so just would like some feedback from you guys. Thanks for your input!

Your CV is about to go out.

If you did something to move the front driveshaft out of line or something else, that might do it, but I cannot imagine how you could have done that: so I suspect it's just coincidence.

The pop and bang you hear is the CV binding and letting go when you stress it at full turn and/or full droop and compression when it is angled at the max it can take.

....I thought that (CV Joint), but I replaced it about a year ago (forgot to mention that)..at least the one on the driver side.

Then check the other side. According to your post you experience a loud pop/bang when at full turn that goes away when you straighten the wheel. That symptom points directly to what has to be a CV problem and I cannot think of anything else that would produce the exact same symptom. If I'm wrong I assume someone else will chime in and correct my diagnosis, but CV is the very first thing I'd look at.

Back