A/C compressor clutch won't remain engaged.. ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C compressor clutch won't remain engaged.. ideas?

Garrett

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Mazda Navajo
When the A/C is turned on (91 Navajo), the clutch on the compressor will engage, then disengage about one second later, repeating this process every 5 seconds or so. It will never remain engaged to allow the compressor to do its job circulating the refrigerant.

What's the problem here? Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Rick, you are probably right since I've used it maybe once in the past 2 years.

Do service stations refill R12 systems anymore?? The last car I had with air conditioning was a '72 240Z and I could refill it myself! That was many years ago.

Thanks for the help!

A service station may be able to fill you up, and I've had good luck with those quickie oil change places. The thing to be preped for now is that R12 is getting kind of expensive. I think I payed close to $70 for my last fill up.

Michael

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

A service station may be able to fill you up, and I've had good luck with those quickie oil change places. The thing to be preped for now is that R12 i2 getting kind of expensive. I think I payed close to $70 for my last fill up.

Michael

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

If you've never had your A/C unit serviced, haven't used it in a couple of years, & its a '91, get it serviced. Ford changed it's "O" ring seals several times since '91 because all the older "O" rings weep after a couple of years. Even the new one will weep after a few years, although they are much better than the older ones. If you don't get those "O" rings replaced and your A/C serviced, you will be faced with having to add freon every 6-9 months. Freon is getting so expensive now most service centers won't even put on A/C pressure gauges for less than $75-80. Now if you are going to sell it soon, well, that's another matter. Jim

Sell it? No, this thing has at least 5 more years with me! I think I'll just let the A/C die a slow death. I never use it, and never will, I am sure. I understand that even the defrost won't work quite as well, so maybe when I move back East for two years, that will force me to get it fixed. I know the entire system was overhauled two years ago - so you sound correct that it keeps leaking. Oh well.

Thanks for all the input!

There's no need letting it die. If you ever do need it or go to sell it you'd of wished that you would of kept it in working shape. I've had mine converted and recharged for about $30 plus a little tip for the guy. Most places charge you by how much freon you need. It's always better to pay a bit now to keep something working than alot later.

Back