• Register Today It's free!

A/c compressor issues HELP!

anthonymtz

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys I need some help with a little issue it's currently 100+ degrees here in Texas, my original AC compressor that came on the vehicle from factory had exploded on me, it literally cracked in half, so I replaced it with the new omega compressor, along with the new condenser, orifice tube and receiver drier, well the issue started when the Schrader valve on the receiver dryer started leaking, it was during the cooler months so I left it alone for a little bit and recently replaced the valve and tried filling it with freon and the clutch was bad so I replaced the clutch and all was good I thought, I had refilled the system but now it is making a noise when the AC is off, but the noise goes away when the compressor engages, the other issue is when the compressor is engaging and trying to cycle once it disengages it sounds like it's seizing up and you can see the front of the clutch trying to spin a Little bit, and then the clutch engages and spins and the cycle happens all over again, i did smell some burning but it went away, could it be the clutch? I did shim the clutch, I matched the spacers from the original clutch onto the new one do i possibly need more spacers on the clutch? Or is the compressor seizing up? I really need some help the heat is so bad any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

-Anthony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys I need some help with a little issue it's currently 100+ degrees here in Texas, my original AC compressor that came on the vehicle from factory had exploded on me, it literally cracked in half, so I replaced it with the new omega compressor, along with the new condenser, orifice tube and receiver drier, well the issue started when the Schrader valve on the receiver dryer started leaking, it was during the cooler months so I left it alone for a little bit and recently replaced the valve and tried filling it with freon and the clutch was bad so I replaced the clutch and all was good I thought, I had refilled the system but now it is making a noise when the AC is off, but the noise goes away when the compressor engages, the other issue is when the compressor is engaging and trying to cycle once it disengages it sounds like it's seizing up and you can see the front of the clutch trying to spin a Little bit, and then the clutch engages and spins and the cycle happens all over again, i did smell some burning but it went away, could it be the clutch? I did shim the clutch, I matched the spacers from the original clutch onto the new one do i possibly need more spacers on the clutch? Or is the compressor seizing up? I really need some help the heat is so bad any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

-Anthony
Did you clean out the lines and evap?
The clutch is shim too a range. Take a feeler gage and check the gap.
That's a good question. you have FS10 compressor
The spec for your air gap 0.35 to 0.85 mm (0.015 to 0.033 inch); the 8 mm nut is torque to 8 to 10 #/ft.

What is it?
That noise could be the pressure equalizing. At 100 degree the system is stress.
How much oil did you add too the compressor and condenser?
What are the pressure reading ?

Did you clean out the lines and evap?
The clutch is shim too a range. Take a feeler gage and check the gap.
That's a good question. you have FS10 compressor
The spec for your air gap 0.35 to 0.85 mm (0.015 to 0.033 inch); the 8 mm nut is torque to 8 to 10 #/ft.

What is it?
That noise could be the pressure equalizing. At 100 degree the system is stress.
How much oil did you add too the compressor and condenser?
What are the pressure reading ?
I appreciate the response the new compressor came pre filled with oil, I did not flush lines on the evap, I changed only the orifice

appreciate the response the new compressor came pre filled with oil, I did not flush lines on the evap, I changed only the orifice tube it had metal shavings in it, that was all before the new compressor, as of now i have the system cooling to 35-40 degree vent temps, now im am getting a scraping noise when the compressor is off when i turn the compressor on the noise goes away.

appreciate the response the new compressor came pre filled with oil, I did not flush lines on the evap, I changed only the orifice tube it had metal shavings in it, that was all before the new compressor, as of now i have the system cooling to 35-40 degree vent temps, now im am getting a scraping noise when the compressor is off when i turn the compressor on the noise goes away.
The orifice tube is your filter, if you check it again, it will have debris.
The vent temp is acceptable. What was the outside temp?
Was there a label on the compressor with the amount of oil?
Or just a label stating shipped with oil?
With the compressor off, its got to be the gas pressure or the clutch gap.
What is the clutch gap? Is the bearing going bad?
Remove the belt, start the car and see if the noise go away.

The orifice tube is your filter, if you check it again, it will have debris.
The vent temp is acceptable. What was the outside temp?
Was there a label on the compressor with the amount of oil?
Or just a label stating shipped with oil?
With the compressor off, its got to be the gas pressure or the clutch gap.
What is the clutch gap? Is the bearing going bad?
Remove the belt, start the car and see if the noise go away.
The outside temp temp is 95-100 degrees and i get around the 35 to 40 degree vent temps, the compressor didn't say how much oil it had but i did add a can of oil charge to it, it was a 2oz can, the noise sometimes dose not always happen for instance if i start the engine up in the morning A/c off its quiet not scraping noises, but of i turn the A/c on and then turn it off as soon as the compressor disingenuous i could hear the scraping sound instantly, you are saying it could be gas pressure as in freon charge? Or the clutch gap? I dont know if the bearing could go bad that quickly i just replaced the entire clutch assembly it came in 3 pieces, now i do feel dumb for not changing the orifice tube when the system leaked all the Freon out just to make sure it was clean as possible but i forgot, im going to get a feeler gauge here in a bit to measure the gap.

The outside temp temp is 95-100 degrees and i get around the 35 to 40 degree vent temps, the compressor didn't say how much oil it had but i did add a can of oil charge to it, it was a 2oz can, the noise sometimes dose not always happen for instance if i start the engine up in the morning A/c off its quiet not scraping noises, but of i turn the A/c on and then turn it off as soon as the compressor disingenuous i could hear the scraping sound instantly, you are saying it could be gas pressure as in freon charge? Or the clutch gap? I dont know if the bearing could go bad that quickly i just replaced the entire clutch assembly it came in 3 pieces, now i do feel dumb for not changing the orifice tube when the system leaked all the Freon out just to make sure it was clean as possible but i forgot, im going to get a feeler gauge here in a bit to measure the gap.

Okay a couple of things i have observed, I didn't mention i did a e-fan conversion on my 04' it's the 4.6 v8, anyways i get the ac to cool very well while moving a good 40 degrees, but as soon as i turn the aux air for rear on my vent temps climb to 50 degrees and if i idle like that for 5-10 minutes the air gets hot and i hear the compressor chirping and making noise so i turn it off and drive around (note my water temp gauge would rarely see 200 degrees until i turn the ac on and it climbs to 210-212 and that's when the compressor acts up) the radiator fan is on max speed and pulling sufficient air my question is are my temps on the high side possibly getting too high making extra heat thus making the compressor cut out/chirp?(i only see the compressor acting up and not cool when I idle for 10+ minutes and my water temp climbs to 210 degrees) so that twlls me the ac is making alot of heat, I never had any problems with my temp climbing that high. Is my condenser not getting enough cooling? Or could there possibly be a blockage causing it to create excess heat? Could being low on freon cause the compressor to make excess heat? When I drive down the road and have a constant flow of air coming through the AC cools to 40 degrees, I just don't understand how the thunderbird fan is not enough air flow if that is the issue, I'm just so fed up with this system I've gone through so much work getting everything replaced.

Okay a couple of things i have observed, I didn't mention i did a e-fan conversion on my 04' it's the 4.6 v8, anyways i get the ac to cool very well while moving a good 40 degrees, but as soon as i turn the aux air for rear on my vent temps climb to 50 degrees and if i idle like that for 5-10 minutes the air gets hot and i hear the compressor chirping and making noise so i turn it off and drive around (note my water temp gauge would rarely see 200 degrees until i turn the ac on and it climbs to 210-212 and that's when the compressor acts up) the radiator fan is on max speed and pulling sufficient air my question is are my temps on the high side possibly getting too high making extra heat thus making the compressor cut out/chirp?(i only see the compressor acting up and not cool when I idle for 10+ minutes and my water temp climbs to 210 degrees) so that twlls me the ac is making alot of heat, I never had any problems with my temp climbing that high. Is my condenser not getting enough cooling? Or could there possibly be a blockage causing it to create excess heat? Could being low on freon cause the compressor to make excess heat? When I drive down the road and have a constant flow of air coming through the AC cools to 40 degrees, I just don't understand how the thunderbird fan is not enough air flow if that is the issue, I'm just so fed up with this system I've gone through so much work getting everything replaced.
I think you have a few problems.
1.the AC system requires at less 8 oz of oil. It state that on the label on the rad support. It sound like your compressor is overheating.
With the right charge, the cools and lube itself.
2. Are the fans blades facing in the right direction. What you are describing about temp go up when stop, would be a fail fan motor. There are pusher fans and puller fans. Which one do you have?

I think you have a few problems.
1.the AC system requires at less 8 oz of oil. It state that on the label on the rad support. It sound like your compressor is overheating.
With the right charge, the cools and lube itself.
2. Are the fans blades facing in the right direction. What you are describing about temp go up when stop, would be a fail fan motor. There are pusher fans and puller fans. Which one do you have?
Okay the fan is a puller, the air is pulled through the front of the radiator, the truck had never had any problems cooling, that is until the AC is on, what I mean by the temp going up is when I'm stopped and idling at a long drive thru, the water temp climbs, but if i turn the ac off water temps go back to normal, the fan is on 100% of the time on high speed the motor is perfectly fine, the AC cuts out and starts screeching when water temperature rises to 210+ degrees, so that is telling me the ac system is making a lot of extra heat and thus making my water temp climb, my fan is on MAX speed, but if I get moving and constantly drive without stopping the AC cools and works perfectly fine, and my water temperature stays around 200-205 degrees. Should the AC system be creating that much extra heat? Or does that sound like a problem?

Okay the fan is a puller, the air is pulled through the front of the radiator, the truck had never had any problems cooling, that is until the AC is on, what I mean by the temp going up is when I'm stopped and idling at a long drive thru, the water temp climbs, but if i turn the ac off water temps go back to normal, the fan is on 100% of the time on high speed the motor is perfectly fine, the AC cuts out and starts screeching when water temperature rises to 210+ degrees, so that is telling me the ac system is making a lot of extra heat and thus making my water temp climb, my fan is on MAX speed, but if I get moving and constantly drive without stopping the AC cools and works perfectly fine, and my water temperature stays around 200-205 degrees. Should the AC system be creating that much extra heat? Or does that sound like a problem?
It sounds like your radiator is not cooling. Extracting heat.
Or the water pump is not circulating water.

It sounds like your radiator is not cooling. Extracting heat.
Or the water pump is not circulating water.
Im not eure thats the issue, it cools just fone with the ac off i ren 190 all day no problem

Back