A/C Compressor Locked Up

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I have had trouble with my A/C system before, so this is no surprise. My A/C compressor locked up and I want to just bypass it....can I leave everything in place and just install a belt for an Explorer without A/C? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't believe you have the same problem as me. I have a 97 Limited, I tried to get a belt for it without air to by-pass, but Ford says they don't make one. They say they all came with air. I went to Canadian Tire with an approximate size I wanted and two belts later I got one that fit, but now my power steering shudders. I can't get any other size that's even close so now I am trying to free up the compressor pullley so I can put my original belt back on, even though I won't have air. If you find out a way to do this please let me know, as I don't have $1000. to put a new compressor in.

Thanks Corri...l

yes its different with second gens, they all had ac and dont make a belt ac delete option.

On GM, you can get an idler pulley that replaces your ac unit to keep the same belt configuration. Don't know if Ford also has such an idea.

When my froze up and I wanted to replace it I looked for a shop to do it. They wanted 1000+ So I did i my self and paid under 420 total. So this may be a route FYI ;)

I have issues with the A/C, I have charge it twice, and actually does cool the car, but after a doy or two it runs out of gas, 2 mechanics al ready cheked for licks, and they just keep saying its the compressor, but how come it cools when it´s full, and there is no escape of gas on the pipes, any help?

i have a 98 ford explorer sport that i just switched engines,its a sohc v6,the original engine had 160000 miles on it and timing chain let go bending valves, i found another engine with 50,000 miles on it and it runs great but i got a problem withe the belt tensioner jumping very bad , i took the one of the old engine and it jumps but not as bad, i think when the ac kicks on is when the tensioner jumps,going to check out the compressor and make sure its ok before i buy new tensioner when i had the belt off the ac pulley turns freely,so unless the clutch is hanging up i think iam ok, if clutch does stick i can just remove power to clutch and be ok right? thanks for any help you can give me

by pass pully

My ac clutch died and for $36 Napa Auto had a by pass pully that replaced the ac compresser

If the compressor used separately, the AC compressor lock-up will not affect the driving. However, if the compressor and other components (battery lamp) share the belt, it will affect safety
I’ll suggest you change to a new compressor. And it's better to find an auto repair shop to replace it for you.
Make sure they have a deep clean to the whole system as well.

Back