A/C Cool but not cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C Cool but not cold.

thejoker954

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB
Hi all I've got a 96 EB. I'm having trouble with the a/c system (EATC if it makes a difference). it only blows coolish air. not cold. Having done some research on here I have checked the following;

1. recirc door (works)
2. Temp blend door actuator (works)
3. temp blend door (works)
4. level select [defrost,floor,vent,etc] (works)
5. heater core cutoff [vacuum line works, adjuster arm works, not sure of internals]

on the low side port with my truck off I've got high pressure (in the red on the cheap gauge that come with a recharge can. if I recall correctly it was around 100 psi but could be way off) with the truck on, but compressor not engaged it's in the green - about 45 psi.

but as soon as the compressor kicks on it drops to about 20 psi and shuts off the compressor.

will add more later....

Sounds like you need to recharge. Does the clutch for the a/c kick on often ( at least once every 60 seconds?) I've had this problem before on my '94 and a recharge with a can of dura-cool 12a refrigerant took care of it. Blows cold now.

yeah the compressor does cycle a lot. I was thinking its low, but when the compressor is not engaged I'm only a couple pounds shy of going in the red. I'd have to add another 5-10 psi it looks like (when the compressors engaged) to avoid the cut-off, but I'm leery of putting the pressure in the red when the clutch isn't engaged.

A friend of a friend works on home a/c units so he's got the good gauges and stuff just gotta wait for him to get around to bringing the stuff home. then he'll check for leaks and all that good stuff.

Back