• Register Today It's free!

a/c recharging

Dade Castillo

Reaction score
City, State
Price, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer
Does anyone know if there is a freon in a can or way to recharge an A/C system without taking to a shop. If so where??? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Dade.

I'm assuming your 93 uses r134 freon?

If so, any old auto parts sells a recharge kit. But if you have reason to suspect a leak, make sure to buy a dye as well.

A/C Recharge

I'm gonna tag on here. I've got a '94 XLT with 137,000 miles. Air worked just fine up until this past December. Now, no cold. I purchased a can of 134a and the recharge hose,, hook it up to the low pressure side, turn on the air. I ran the vehicle for almost 1/2 an hour. The can feels like the same weight. I shake it and can hear that there is stuff in it. The valve opens, both on the can and the LP side.
Why isn't my system taking in more 134a? Compressor seems to be working. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Earl

I recharge the AC on several of my vehicles, but long ago I invested in a gauge manifold so I could see what the pressures are doing.

Good luck.....

did this last night...

If the early models are the same as my 98 then here is what I did. First, get a guage and check it with the car started, max AC and at running temperature. If you need to add r134 then shake the heck out of the can, install it on the hose and hook the hose back up to the low pressure side. HOLD THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN and open the valve. It should go in in about 5 -10 min, and if it is not in by then, something is wrong. Hope that helps. Also, put in the conditioner type as it really helps with seals and stuff. My AC is icy and it was 97 degrees yesterday :D Hope that helps.

If you have an old system, you can convert it to the new system for about $30... I did it to my Jeep and it worked great!

Re: did this last night...

Originally posted by LowdPypes

If you have an old system, you can convert it to the new system for about $30... I did it to my Jeep and it worked great!

Really tell me more. The A/C in the wifes Rodeo isn't working anymore. I think it's just low on freon. Since they don't sell the R12 anymore I was wanting to do this however I wanted to hear from someone else that had first just to make sure I wasn't wasting my money. :)

kits...

I know that you can get the kit in Advance Auto and place like that but I went out last night to grab another can of r134 at Walmart and I noticed that they had a kit there to. Instructions are on the box and it is pretty cut and dry. Go in the store and read the direction to see if you think you can handle it... Can't be too complicated if they sell it at Walmart ;-)

Coolio, I didn't know if those suckers even worked or not! Alright! :) Thanks for the tip I appreciate it.

:D

Lemme get this straight...

OK, so I'm using the wal-mart special can to recharge my AC (95 MY, r134, auto climate control). I see 2 fittings in the AC system... one atop the accumulator (black, passenger side near firewall), and one inline with the hose running from the compressor to the condensor (near the battery, driver's side). I was led to believe that the fitting on the accumulator would be the "low pressure side", AM I CORRECT?? If so, I tried recharging per the instructions (can inverted, A/C on MAX, warmed engine)....

It seemed it took only a small part of the can, and the rest started blowing off where the valve meets the can of recharge coolant (not sure if it's a pressure relief valve built into it or if it just blew the seal). I worked with it for about 10 minutes, and that's all it took. AC doesn't feel any colder, compressor clutch still cycles incessantly.

Haven't noticed any leaks. Am I doing this wrong? Thanks for your help in advance, just looking for clarifications based on previous posts. 174K miles now just for useless info....

Are you sure that your thermostat isn't stuck? That happened to my sister's '94 Explorer, and that kept the A/C from working properly (getting cold).

doin it right...

Not sure what the problem is, but you are doing it right. You refill the low pressure side which is on the passenger side, NOT the high pressure side by the battery. Just so you know...

Thanks, I'll give it another try. The AC does blow a *small* bit of cold air, so I'd assume the thermostat is at least switching correctly. Where is it located on the auto systems?

The AC isn't really a big deal - I've lived without it for 2 years now, just thought it would be nice to have back since I swear global warming is making itself known!! ;)

I just did mine a week or two ago......

If its R134a, like mine, its easy......I bought the kit that has a pressure gauge, hose and valve.....My system was reading low.....I added a can of "AC booster" and a can of R134a.....I found that I needed tio heat the can slightly by placing it in a pan of warm water while it was going in.......the can of R134a *I* had said to use it right side up (only the "booster" said to do it upsaide down)......

My system wasnt taking teh R134a quickly eitehr till I heated it up a bit....It did the trick.

One other thing -- buy a small meat probe/cooking thermometer and stick it in the vent when you start......you may be surpised.....

It should read between 40 and 50 degrees, depending on how HOT/HUMID it is outside.....

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure what kind of can tapper comes with these kits , but you need to be sure to screw the tapper on securely. Then turn the valve fully clockwise to puncture the can, then srew the valve fully counter-clockwise to release the refrigerant. Also the coupler that connects to the low pressure fitting probably has a valve that needs to be screwed fully clockwise to open the valve in the charge fitting. I always turn the can upside-down, it goes much faster. The only time you need to be careful doing it that way is on some vehicles that have the charge fitting close to the compressor.

I have read in many reputable sources......

DO NOT TO TURN THE FREON CAN UPSIDE WHEN CHARGING THE AC !

It dumps liquid freon in the system and can cause damage to the compressor and workings.

Compressor Oil cans are OK to flip.

If you are impatient:
Get a coffee can with luke warm water. Put the freon can in that as it charges. The luke warm water helps to dump the can in very short order.
I do it that way and it works great.

If there is any interest, I can dig up the exact source.

I just got a kit at Wal-Mart for $25.00 it had a pressure gauge and 1 big can of oil/cleaner/134a all in one and it did say on the can to HOLD THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN it sucked it all in in under 2 min,,,, I think I'll put some more in,,,, it also says to add 2 Oz. of oil for every can of 134a ,,, it was blowing hot air now it is cold if you clutch cycles you have some pressure still in there and you need a can or 2 if you clutch don't cycle with the ac is on you can check the clutch by unplugging the pressure switch jump it by and sticking a wire to 2 connections the but don't leave too long just long enough to see if you clutch is working the low pressure switch is there so burn your a/c up when it's low on refrigerant

You need to hook up an AC gauge manifold and monitor pressures.

Good luck.....

the kit at walmart has a low pressure gauge with it also it not the best but is show 0- 200 Psi and even highlights the correct pressure

Well, it's been a while since I did this but I thought I'd post results anyway. Turns our my compressor was dead, siezed in fact. I figured this out when I had a friend look at it with me and noticed my compressor clutch was missing, sheard off. Seems the compressor siezed with the clutch on and twisted the sucker right off. Don't know why I didn't hear it when it happend. I replaced the compressor in about 1/2 hour, hooked up the recharge items and I was good to go shortly after that. Whew,, I love air!!

Earl

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you vacuum evacuate the syster prior to gassing?

Back