• Register Today It's free!

A/C tools and flush advice

smallwwb

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA, Cambria CA, Tucson AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I am finally getting around to fixing the A/C on my old gal. 93 XLT.
I am replacing the compressor as it grenaded some 4 years ago. And converting to 134a while I'm at it.
I plan to:
Flush the system with A/C flush from Autozone and compressed air
Replace accumulator, new orifice tube, new compressor (hopefully don't need a new condenser- we shall see) and 134a valves
Evacuate with an electric pump for 1 hour at least
Check for good vacuum using gauges
Add 28 oz. 134a (85% of 32 oz. R12)

I already have everything: New compressor, orifice tube, accumulator, PAG oil, refrigerant, vac pump, gauges, etc.

My haynes manual has been little help so far, but I did learn a few things.
I have read just about every post I could find about how to do this process, and have gotten thus far: I have removed the old compressor, and begun taking things off to get to the condenser and accumulator.
I now read that I need a 'spring lock coupling tool' to get one of the lines off the accumulator as well as the condenser. Can you use anything else?
Also, do I need to remove the condenser from the truck to flush it? That involves draining and removing the radiator. Do you have to flush the evaporator as well?
I have read many posts about how to flush the system, but nothing that answers these questions.
I'm stuck without the coupling tool, and I would really not like to have to drain and remove the radiator.

On a side note, I was able to "rent" the electric vacuum pump and gauges from Autozone. I paid a $200 deposit for the pump and a $100 deposit for the gauges, which are both fully refundable if I bring them back within 90 days.

Any help would be awesome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New o-rings everywhere.

Go rent the orifice tube removal tool from autozone as well. Also, you can buy a pack of quick disconnect tools for like 10 bucks.

As a side note if you also install a 94's hot water vacuum valve you can lower the max AC temps some as it shuts off all coolant from the heater core under max AC.

one other thing that can help is if you replace you condenser with a larger one from a newer model it helps with the low speed stop and go city driving were you tend to loss the cooling effect with the stock size condenser as there really made for R12 and yes even the 94's are just a R12 condenser size so going a bit bigger dose help and some thing I am planning here soon when I replace my compressor.

As Huntman said, I would change the condensor also. My a/c had black death, and they say that when the compressor dies, you can almost never flush out everything in the condensor. I would also recommend replacing the suction and discharge lines. If yours are still factory and you don't have a high pressure relief valve, you run the risk of killing your new compressor when you switch to 134. If your condensor doesn't cool the compressed freon into liquid you can see pressures quickly climb to 450psi on the high side before you even have a full charge in the system.

thanks for the input guys.
I just removed my orifice tube. Didn't need a tool at all, just a pair of needle nosed pliers- it was easy once I got the line unbolted, which was a &%#$!
My orifice tube is almost completely clean. There is maybe one small piece of aluminum, and about 10 pieces of other debris. No black gunk anywhere. The pieces are maybe the size of the point of a needle each, and the rest of the screen looks to be in great shape.
I shown my flashlight into the tubes a bit, and can't find any evidence of black death or other junk so far.
I'm wondering now if my compressor really did die, or do I just have a leak somewhere? All the o-rings look good that I have uncovered so far, and they are the green ones.
Hmmm...
Think I'll take my compressor and orifice tube to an A/C shop and see what they think.

OK talked to a shop and they said if the compressor is locked up it's definitely dead, but may not have sent shrapnel into the condenser. I'll blow that out next and check.

I've taken the system all apart and flushed the lines, evaporator and condenser. No signs of carnage so far. I will finish the process, evacuate, recharge, then post a detailed description since I haven't found one here.

I've taken the system all apart and flushed the lines, evaporator and condenser. No signs of carnage so far. I will finish the process, evacuate, recharge, then post a detailed description since I haven't found one here.
You got lucky with the orifice tube thing. Mine broke off piece by piece when I tried the needle nose pliers method. Had to take the entire evaporator out and use a wood screw to pull it out. Taking that airbox apart was half the trouble right there. :thumbdwn:

Back