• Register Today It's free!

A couple parts questions

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Gonna order some stuff from Rock Auto tonight. Just a couple questions.

For the head gasket kit, I was originally planning on the Victor Reinz kit, but then heard the Magnum was actually a pretty good set as well. The Magnum has as good or maybe a little better warranty but the VR has the two piece LIM gaskets. Recommendations? I would prefer to avoid paper or cork where possible.

Also going to order some wheel bearings to change at a later date. I was planning to order the Timken Set37. Just to confirm, I need 4 of those, correct? And 2 wheel seals?

Bearings/seals - you're correct.
Gaskets, either or. Ive had good results with both for LIM. It's the cork valve cover gaskets I'm weary of. Just be very careful at retorqueing and rtv the corners where junction of Valve cover and LIM meets and you ought to be fine. Oh, and run a tap in your LIM threads to make sure you get good readings when you do torque them!!

Good enough, thanks.
If I order the VR kit from rock auto, those aren't cork valve cover gaskets, correct? Hard telling from the pic but it doesn't look like it.

I don't know, I bought Fel-pro the last time. But 4 years ago I got VR and I think it came with cork on the less expensive option.

Back