• Register Today It's free!

Here we go again

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
To rewind, when I got my Ex, I was told it needed an LIM gasket. Further research and I found out I needed head gaskets (bubbles in overflow tank, unexplained coolant loss.) Bought a gasket set and because I got me Ex cheap and had some extra money, I went ahead and bought a new set of heads to minimize the time I was out of a vehicle. Did everything, had some questions, but after everything was said and done it started up and ran with no lights. I figured I did ok, though still was loosing some coolant and a few bubbles in the tank. Didn't think much of it.
Well, here I am again and the thing has started running quite poorly the last couple weeks. Started looking around and the first thing I did was check my plugs. Lo and behold the first plug I pulled out was shot, full of crusted on white, hard nastiness. That was #4 cylinder. #5 looked fine. #6 was also pretty bad. Cleaned up those plugs and put them back in. Ran better but still not good. Oh, and I'm getting a pretty steady stream of bubbles in my overflow tank.
So it looks like after 2 years the head gasket job that I did that I thought I might have messed up has finally given up the ghost. If I had to guess I would say the mistake happened in either the cleaning and prep of the block surface or in that I bought the cheap fel-pro gasket set. Most likely both.
I'm going to order up parts this weekend, probably all from Rock Auto. Some questions -
- First, is it better to order the head gasket kit? I'm looking at the Victor Reinz set with all the necessary gaskets.
-For LIM gaskets, I'm confused on 1 piece vs. 2 piece, or a 1 piece from I think it was a 97? If someone could tell me specifically what gasket is best I would appreciate it. This isn't something I want to do a third time.
-What's the best method to clean and prep the block and head surfaces? I haven't overheated at all and the heads are only 2 years old so plan to reuse them. I saw somewhere a few people have had good results with Easy Off oven cleaner and a scotch brite pad.

While I'm tearing into it, and to make this job and future work easier, I'm going to pull out the dead AC system and change over to a non-AC blower box. Anybody have one floating around they'd be willing to part with? And since I need to change my spark plugs, I may as well change my wires. Plan to go with NGK platinum plugs and NGK wires. Then, because I've always been curious about it, I'm going to get the high intensity ignition coil from Rock Auto and try that out. Worst case it's junk and I'll put the old one back in, but I figure for $35 I might as well try it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't bother with the coil, the stock system is fine.

For cleaning the block, I use some cleaner and scubbing pad. I just get the goop off.

Heads I bring to a machine shop. I would contact the place you bought yours about a warranty.

Felpro is not the cheap set, it's arguably the best you can get. The only thing I don't like is that the kit doesn't come with head bolts.

Ash on spark plugs can be a few things including oil or fuel additive like seafoam.

For LIM gaskets, I use one piece Felpro, but others argue the 2 piece metal Felpro is better.

I would compression test with every spark plug out if I was you. If all is normal, go for a radiator pressure test.

I can try a compression test and see what I come up with. There might even be an old tester laying around. I can't help but think this is where my problem is though. I'll also admit I'm not the smartest when it comes to all this.

I know Fel Pro makes good stuff, but the kit I ordered wasn't their good stuff. I thought that's what I got last time, but this was all cheap paper or cork gaskets. The heavier duty stuff is a lot better as I understand it.

The ash on the plugs wasn't your standard ashy build up. I have a picture on my phone that I can post up after work. Google "coolant fouled spark plugs" and look at those pictures and you'll see what mine look like. I didn't take a picture of the plug for the #4 cylinder. I should have. I honestly think it was fouled to the point of not working. I initially started checking by pulling plug wires to see which one made a difference. When I pulled that wire there was no change in idle.

Head gaskets are steel and don't blow out easily, and felpro is what manufacturers and mechanics both use. Its possible you bought a set of remanufactured heads that either cracked or warped.

If you do have to buy the gaskets I would buy the Felpro set from rock auto. I have personally tried all of those gaskets (although I have never had a head gasket problem on a 4.0) and I can attest to them being of the highest quality. The Victor Reins are good too, but some of their stuff seems a little thin to me, especially the exhaust manifold gaskets. The VR lower intake manifold gaskets are arguably the best you can buy, however, I have used the heavy duty felpro and it will last, plus I'm betting its much easier to install. The only thing the felpro set doesn't come with is head bolts. The last head gasket I did was last month on a 2005 dodge grand caravan with 3.3. I used felpro brand all the way through including head bolts. Zero problems. Does the 4.0 have alignment pins for the head? If not, some ARP head studs might be a good upgrade to help align the head when you are putting it on.

I seem to remember the head gaskets I had were a cardboard material with steel rings around cylinders. I don't remember exactly. I do remember thinking they were flimsier than I thought they would be.
Either way I think I'll stick with the $131 VR head gasket kit from Rockauto. By the time you figure in the cost of head bolts it's not really costing anything more.
The 4.0 does have the head alignment studs, though I was missing one or two. If ARP sells them I'll get some. I can't check their site from work, are they all the same size?

Thanks for the help. Like I said, I'm not real smart when it comes to this stuff. I know enough to get through it but could definitely be smarter.

sorry, mispost

It was a fel-pro kit I ordered from Rock. Like I said, I wasn't impressed with the kit. Everything felt flimsy, including the 1 piece LIM gasket and the cork valve covers.

Some quick research shows all head gaskets for the 4.0 are fiber. Ford never fails to amaze me. If you can find a steel gasket, get it. I was pretty sure we were past that in the 70's :thumbdwn: Fiber is fine for for a lower intake manifold, but a head? Why don't we swap the fuel injectors for a carburetor and run leaded fuel while we are at it. Sorry, its just poor design.

Believe it or not, I recommend you try 1 (no more) bottle of bars leak radiator stop leak. I've had luck with it in the past. If it doesn't work, no harm done, just flush it out. If it does, great. My 94 explorer went 2 years as a daily driver with bars leak and it still seems ok.

I'm in the middle of a head gasket replacement as well. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441508

Fel-Pro has a couple different lines of gaskets. For the head gasket, I'm using their Severe Duty ones which are steel.

I over-ordered so I have some extra parts, including a new set of Victor Reinz head bolts and some other gaskets. Let me know if you'd like to work a deal.

Also, as far as the prep work and cleaning is concerned, I've had good results in the past using a scotch-brite pad and denatured alcohol to clean up all the mating surfaces. With a light touch, you can get the surfaces extremely smooth and clean. Good luck with it!

Back